Pit (Kid Icarus)
||The English used in this article or section may not be easy for everybody to understand. (October 2011)|
|Game series||Kid Icarus series|
|First game||Kid Icarus (1986)|
|Voiced by (English)||Alessandro Juliani (Captain N)
Lani Minella (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)
|Voiced by (Japanese)||Minami Takayama (Super Smash Bros. Brawl)|
Pit (ピット Pitto) is a fictional character and the main character from the Kid Icarus series of Nintendo games, first seen in Kid Icarus on the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1986 and then in Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters on the Nintendo Game Boy in 1991. Pit's latest appearance in a video game was in Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Wii. Pit is Palutena's servant, the captain of her army and the boss of her bodyguard. Some people think Pit's name is Kid Icarus since he is the main character of Kid Icarus.
Games[change | change source]
Other appearances[change | change source]
Small appearances[change | change source]
- Tetris (NES) - 1989 - Pit is playing a violin when the player wins Game B on Speed 9, Height 0.
- F-1 Race (Game Boy) - 1990 - Before Course 8, Pit cheers for the player. He also appears in the end of the race.
- Super Smash Bros. Melee (GameCube) - 2001 - Pit is a trophy in this game.
- WarioWare: Twisted! (Game Boy Advance) - 2005 - In one of 9-volt's games, the player directs Pit left or right to dodge snakes and eggplants thrown at the player. Pit is also seen on the cover of the Kid Icarus record box. The theme for Kid Icarus is an unlockable record in the game. When the cursor is placed on it, the text describing it says, "This is the closest thing to a sequel you're gonna get! Har har!"
- WarioWare: Smooth Moves (Wii) - 2007 - In the conducting game, Pit is playing a cello. Also, the Kid Icarus theme is one of the songs that must be conducted.
Character design[change | change source]
Pit is based on Icarus and Eros (also known as Cupid), figures from Greek mythology. The clothes that he wears and the fact that he is an angel resembles Perseus, Bellerophon, and Hercules, the last also being an archer. His looks have changed very little over the years, having always included things that have to do with classical antiquity (such as the chiton and sandals). His weapon is the bow and arrow. In Of Myths and Monsters, Pit first received a crown of laurel, as well as revealing his eye color, blue. In Super Smash Bros. Brawl, Pit is seen wearing an exomis. On the official Super Smash Bros. Brawl website, it is said that Pit is an angel that cannot normally fly. Much like Samus Aran from the Metroid series and Link from The Legend of Zelda (series) series, Pit did not talk much in Super Smash Bros. Brawl, either.
As part of changing the character, the designers of Super Smash Bros. Brawl saw it fit to change his character design (looks) by combining parts of his looks from the promotional artworks of both Kid Icarus titles with new ideas. Pit now appears older than the child-age designs from older games and now has a more anime/manga-like appearance, although he still seems to have a childish voice in the Japanese version. In The English version of Super Smash Bros. Brawl, he has a deeper-sounding teenaged voice. Nintendo has described the redesign as "a giant leap forward in his evolution". It is also said on the Smash Bros. Dojo that one of Pit's color changes is black, a "Fallen Angel color" choice. This new look had became popular among most nintendo fans. It will be used for the upcoming Kid Icarus Uprising.
Other websites[change | change source]
- Pit's character biography at the official Super Smash Bros. Brawl website.
- The first Super Smash Bros. Brawl trailer, as seen at E3 2006, at the game's official website.
- Pit's descent from Angel Land on Super Smash Bros. Brawl official website