Yoshi's best-known ability is his ability to eat enemies. He has a long tongue which he uses to grab enemies and eat them. In some games, after Yoshi eats enemies, they turn into eggs, which can be thrown. One of Yoshi's best friends is Mario who helps Yoshi throughout the dangerous situations. Sometimes, Mario can ride Yoshi.
Yoshis are usually green, but can come in many other colors. These other colors include green, red, cyan, blue, pink, yellow, brown, black, or white. Blue Yoshi is especially in Super Mario World. In Super Mario 64 DS, Rec Room there's a light blue color in one of Yoshi's minigames Tox Box. In Vs Mode. Multiplayer, it has a dark blue color and the third player can play him.
In some games, Yoshi gains powers, like flying or shooting fireballs, by eating the shells of enemies known as Koopalings, which look like turtles.
Yoshi first appeared in the game Super Mario World (SNES), which was released in 1990 in Japan and 1991 in the United States.
Main playable appearances[change | change source]
- Mario Kart 64 (N64)
- Mario Kart: Super Circuit (GBA)
- Mario Kart DS (DS)
- Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
- Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
- Mario Party series (N64, GCN, DS, and Wii)
- Super Mario 64 DS (DS) (Vs Mode multiplayer only, the one with the game card is Green Yoshi, others are Red, Blue, and Yellow Yoshi.
- Super Mario Kart (SNES)
- Super Mario Sunshine (GCN)
- Super Smash Bros. (N64)
- Super Smash Bros. Melee (GCN)
- Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (GCN)
- Mario Power Tennis (GCN)
- Super Mario Strikers (Wii)
- Super Mario World (SNES)
- Yoshi's Island (SNES), (GBA)
- Yoshi's Island DS (DS)
- Yoshi Touch & Go (DS)
- Yoshi Topsy-Turvy (GBA)
- Yoshi's Story (N64)
- Mario Strikers Charged Football (Wii)
- Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Wii)
- Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
- New Super Mario Bros. U (Wii U)
Reception[change | change source]
Yoshi is a very well-known character in the Mario series. Yoshi is also seen a lot in Mario toys, games, and shirts. Yoshi was in two of the Mcdonald's Happy Meal Mario toy promotions, which only starred Mario, Donkey Kong and Yoshi himself. In a 2008 poll, Yoshi was voted as the third favorite video game character in Japan. Cloud Strife and Mario were second and first place, in that order.
References[change | change source]
- McDonald's: Take the Mario Challenge - Raving Toy Maniac
- "And Japan's Favorite Video Game Characters Are...?". Kotaku. 2008-08-12. Retrieved 2009-09-12.