|National Capital Territory of Delhi|
Location of Delhi in India
|Settled||6th century B.C.|
|Formation of Union Territory||1956|
|Formation of NCT||1 February 1992|
|• Body||Government of Delhi|
|• Lt. Governor||Anil Baijal, IAS|
|• Chief Minister||Arvind Kejriwal (AAP)|
|• Deputy Chief Minister||Manish Sisodia (AAP)|
|• Chief Secretary||Vijay Kumar Dev, IAS|
|• Commissioner of Police||Amulya Patnaik, IPS|
|• Union territory||1,484.0 km2 (573.0 sq mi)|
|• Water||18 km2 (6.9 sq mi)|
|Elevation||200–250 m (650–820 ft)|
|• Union territory||16,787,941|
|• Density||11,312/km2 (29,298/sq mi)|
|• Urban||16,349,831 (2nd)|
|• Megacity||11,034,555 (2nd)|
|• Metro (2016)||26,454,000 (1st)|
|• Additional official|
|• Total||₹7.80 lakh crore (US$130 billion)|
|• Per Capita||₹365529 (US$6,200)|
|• Metro GDP/PPP||$167–370 billion|
|Time zone||UTC+5.30 (IST)|
|Area code(s)||+91 11|
|ISO 3166 code||IN-DL|
|HDI (2017)||0.744 (High) · 5th|
|Sex ratio (2011)||868 ♀/1000 ♂|
Delhi (English: //; Hindustani: [ˈdɪlːi] Dillī; Punjabi: [ˈdɪlːi] Dillī; Urdu: [ˈdeɦli] Dēhlī), officially the National Capital Territory of Delhi (NCT), is a territory in India. It includes the country's capital New Delhi. It covers an area of 573 square miles (1,480 km2). It is bigger than the Faroe Islands but smaller than Guadeloupe. Delhi is a part of the National Capital Region, which has 12.5 million residents. The governance of Delhi is like that of a state in India. It has its own legislature, high court and a council of executive ministers.
Delhi is on the banks of the Yamuna River. Historians have evidence that people have been living in this region since at least the 6th century BC. People also believe that the legendary city of Indraprastha was here. This city has many remains and monuments of historic importance.
The India Gate is a war memorial in Delhi. On the India gate there are names of some of the people who fought for India during 1914 until 1921.
References[change | change source]
- "Anil Baijal takes over as new Lt Governor of Delhi". Times of India. Delhi. 31 December 2016. Archived from the original on 3 January 2017. Retrieved 31 December 2016.
- "Senior IAS officer Vijay Kumar Dev to be next Delhi Chief Secretary". The Financial Express (India). 23 November 2018. Archived from the original on 20 April 2019. Retrieved 20 February 2018.
- "Amulya Kumar Patnaik Officially Takes Charge As Delhi Police Commissioner". Archived from the original on 31 January 2017. Retrieved 31 January 2017.
- "Delhi (India): Union Territory, Major Agglomerations & Towns – Population Statistics in Maps and Charts". City Population. Archived from the original on 2 March 2017. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- "Official Language Act 2000" (PDF). Government of Delhi. 2 July 2003. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 17 July 2015.
- "Gross State Domestic Product of Delhi" (PDF). Planning Department, Government of Delhi. p. 16. Retrieved 9 June 2019.
- "Find Pin Code". Department of Posts. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "Sub-national HDI – Area Database". Global Data Lab. Institute for Management Research, Radboud University. Archived from the original on 23 September 2018. Retrieved 25 September 2018.
- "Census 2011 (Final Data) – Demographic details, Literate Population (Total, Rural & Urban)" (PDF). planningcommission.gov.in. Planning Commission, Government of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on 27 January 2018. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- "Census of India : Provisional Population Totals Paper 1 of 2011 : NCT of Delhi". www.censusindia.gov.in.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Delhi.|
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide about: Delhi|