Naruhito, as Crown Prince, in 2018
|Emperor of Japan|
|Reign||1 May 2019 – present|
|Prime Ministers||Shinzō Abe|
23 February 1960
Imperial Household Agency Hospital, Tokyo Imperial Palace, Tokyo, Japan
Masako Owada (m. 1993)
|Issue||Aiko, Princess Toshi|
|House||Imperial House of Japan|
Naruhito (徳仁, born 23 February 1960) is the current emperor of Japan. Naruhito is the eldest son of former Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko of Japan. He is known as simply the Crown Prince. He was originally known as His Imperial Highness The Prince Hiro but was later given the title of Crown Prince in 1991.
Children[change | change source]
Titles and styles[change | change source]
- 23 February 1960 – 23 February 1991: His Imperial Highness The Prince Hiro
- 23 February 1991 – 30 April 2019: His Imperial Highness The Crown Prince of Japan
- 1 May 2019 – present: His Majesty The Emperor
References[change | change source]
- "Japan's Emperor Akihito abdicates". 2019-04-30. Retrieved 2019-04-30.
- "Naruhito is new emperor of Japan; 'Reiwa' era begins". www.nst.com.my. Retrieved 2019-04-30.
- Enjoji, Kaori (December 1, 2017). "Japan Emperor Akihito to abdicate on April 30, 2019". CNN. Tokyo. Retrieved December 1, 2017.