Santiago Rodríguez Province
|Development region||Cibao Noroeste (IV)|
|Capital||San Ignacio de Sabaneta|
|- elevation||127 m (417 ft)|
|Area||1,147.5 km² (443 sq mi)|
|Population||57,476 (2010) |
|Density||50 /km² (129 /sq mi)|
0 municipal districts
|Area code||1-809 1-829 1-849|
The province was created in 1948.
Name[change | change source]
Santiago Rodríguez was an officer of the Dominican army when the Dominican-Haitian War. He is one of the founder of the city of Sabaneta. He was an important military leader during the initial stages of the Restoration War (1863-1865).
History[change | change source]
The town of San Ignacio de Sabaneta was founded in 1844 and it was made a municipality of the Santiago province in 1854 and then of the Monte Cristi Province province in 1879. In 1948, it became a province.
Monción was a municipality of Montecristi since 1907. In 1996, Villa Los Almácigos became a municipality.
Location[change | change source]
Santiago Rodríguez is in the region known as Línea Noroeste ("Northwestern Line"). The province has the Monte Cristi and Valverde provinces to the north, the Santiago province to the east, the San Juan and Elías Piña provinces to the south and the Dajabón province to the west.
|Santiago Rodríguez province|
|Elías Piña||San Juan|
Population[change | change source]
Its population represents 0.61% of the total population of the country and the province is ranked as the 30th (out of 31 plus the National District) more populated province.
Geography[change | change source]
The Santiago province has a total area of 1,147.5 km2 (443.1 sq mi). It has 2.4% of the area of the Dominican Republic and it is ranked as the 22nd (out of 31 plus the National District) largest province.
Climate[change | change source]
The climate of the province is a tropical climate, hot most of the year, but it is cooler in the mountains.
Municipalities[change | change source]
|Municipal Districts (code)||Population
|San Ignacio de Sabaneta (260101)||34,540||801.4||43.1||127|
|Villa Los Almácigos (260201)||11,183||207.2||54.0||211|
|Villa Los Almácigos (260200)||11,183||207.2||54.0|
|Santiago Rodríguez (260000)||57,476||1,147.5||50.1|
Economy[change | change source]
The only economic activity of importance is farming.
References[change | change source]
- "División Territorial 2012" (PDF) (in Spanish). Oficina Nacional de Estadística (ONE). May 2012. p. 14. Retrieved 1 December 2016.
- "IX Censo Nacional de Población y Vivienda 2010" (PDF) (in Spanish). Oficina Nacional de Estadística. June 2012. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- "División Territorial 2015" (PDF) (in Spanish). Oficina Nacional de Estadística (ONE). October 2015. Retrieved 1 December 2016.
- "REPÚBLICA DOMINICANA: Población por año calendario, según sexo y grupos quinquenales de edad, 2015-2020" (XLS) (in Spanish). Oficina Nacional de Estadística (ONE). Retrieved 29 November 2016.
- "Sabaneta". Geonames.org. Retrieved 1 December 2016.