This is a message board for talking about tasks on Wikipedia that only administrators can do. Please put new messages at the bottom of the talk page or to start a new discussion.
Please note that the messages on this page are archived periodically. A message may therefore have been archived. Note however, that the archives must not be modified, so if something needs discussing, please start a new discussion on this page.
Are you in the right place?
- This is the Simple English Wikipedia. Click here for the Administrators' Noticeboard on the regular English Wikipedia.
- Use Vandalism in progress to report serious and urgent vandalism from other users to administrators.
- Use Requests for permissions to request administrators to give you tools that can help you do things faster on Wikipedia, such as rollback.
- Use Simple talk to ask general questions about Wikipedia and how to use it.
Britain First/Glasgow City Council[change source]
The 3-month IP block on their IP addresses expire tomorrow. The range was reblocked on enwiki for 6 months about two weeks ago, so I expect them to resume editing here. IP's are listed here. Thank you, Vermont (talk) 02:17, 22 November 2018 (UTC)
- Hopefully they will have forgotten about us compared to en.wiki. But if not we can just out a 6 month on. -DJSasso (talk) 12:37, 22 November 2018 (UTC)
Note that administrators no longer have the ability to unblock themselves if blocked by another admin. This also applies to bureaucrats. Please see this and phab:T150826. Thank you, Vermont (talk) 02:45, 27 November 2018 (UTC)
- Thanks, Vermont. Sounds like a good idea. --Auntof6 (talk) 05:21, 27 November 2018 (UTC)
- Ugh this is dangerous on a small wiki like ours where if an admin account is compromised they could block all admins quickly. -DJSasso (talk) 13:57, 29 November 2018 (UTC)
- There's talk of being able to block only the admin that blocked you. I'm not sure if it's in effect. It would alleviate the issue you mentioned, although I'm still not very happy they made these changes globally without local consensus. Vermont (talk) 14:53, 29 November 2018 (UTC)
Stop Wikipedia asking for more money![change source]
I’ve already donated just a short while ago (months) it was a fair amount now I am being bombardrd with requests for more! If I become a member and log-in each time, can I escape the persistent RED donation banners. -126.96.36.199 (talk) 02:11, 12 December 2018 (UTC)
- It is possible to stop the banner from showing if you have an account as when you aren't signed in you don't have any personal preferences set. The banners do only show during the funding drive I believe, so once the yearly drive is complete they go away as well if you would rather not register an account. -DJSasso (talk) 12:13, 12 December 2018 (UTC)
Histmerg request[change source]
Please refer to details at Wikipedia:Simple talk#How to merge and maintain both page histories? -- Cheers, Deborahjay (talk) 16:53, 5 December 2018 (UTC)
New Wikimedia password policy and requirements[change source]
Username against policy and vandalism[change source]
User:Boobzzzz's username is against the username policy as I understand it, and their only edit (https://simple.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Cell_differentiation&curid=214739&diff=6336762&oldid=6310855) was vandalism to Cell differentiation. Diadophis (talk) 01:51, 7 December 2018 (UTC)
- @Diadophis: I noticed the account before... but for now I'm watching it closely for further activity. The username itself is barely acceptable, so we'll wait for additional behavior. Please feel free to ping me if there is any additional questionable conduct. Operator873talkconnect 02:07, 7 December 2018 (UTC)
- @Diadophis: It would help if you leave that user a warning for the edit you reverted. If they vandalize enough, or exclusively, they might get indeffed for that even if we can't block them for a bad user name. --Auntof6 (talk) 02:14, 7 December 2018 (UTC)
- We don't have a reason to block that one. Boobs is a slang term for breasts, but it's not rude or pejorative. It also has other meanings. --Auntof6 (talk) 12:02, 7 December 2018 (UTC)
VG articles backlog[change source]
I was searching on the site for Jeffrey Dahmer, I found him. Hitler, yep I can search and find him. The BTK killer is there and so is that woman who killed her five kids when she drown the in a lake. But when I search for Dr. Judy Wood....nothing. Zero. A PHD professor who is razor sharp...I wonder what she has to say that Wikipedia feels so strongly about or is being strong-armed and has nothing say,(I vote the latter). So let me get this straight, now you are choosing...CHOOSING, what information is important and selectively filtering that info based on a set agenda. Apparently what she has to say annoyed someone enough that they told you not to publish it. So let’s hear your brilliant explanation, cause whatever side of the street you choose to walk here, sets you up for failure. Youmlose either way. — Preceding unsigned comment added by 188.8.131.52 (talk • contribs)
- I don't know the person you particularly are talking about. However, all articles on based on having to meet notability requirements. It is also dependent on someone actually writing about them. You are on Simple English wikipedia which writes about topics in simpler English. We don't have as many articles as English Wikipedia because we don't have as many editors. -DJSasso (talk) 15:49, 14 December 2018 (UTC)