|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1980s 1990s 2000s – 2010s – 2020s 2030s 2040s|
|Years:||2015 2016 2017 – 2018 – 2019 2020 2021|
Predicted events[change | change source]
- January 1 – Estonia takes over the Presidency of the Council of the European Union from the United Kingdom.
- February will not experience a completely realized full moon this year
- July 1 – Presidential elections in Mexico.
- July 1 – Bulgaria takes over the Presidency of the Council of the European Union from Estonia.
- July 27 – Mars will make its closest approach to Earth since 2003. It will not be as close as the 2003 opposition.
- August 11 – The final Drum Corps International World Championship to be held in the Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana, after an 11-year run.
- September 16 – Swedish general election for the Riksdag.
- November 6 – United States mid-term elections.
Unknown dates[change | change source]
- China's One-child policy is expected to end.
- 2018 Winter Olympics – Host city will be chosen in 2011.
- 2018 Commonwealth Games – Host city will be chosen in 2011.
- The London Convention, which prevents sea dumping, expires.
- 2018 FIFA World Cup (host country scheduled to be chosen in 2011)
- Researchers and investors in space elevator technology hope to start funding the construction of the first elevator by 2031.
- NASA currently projects that its Vision for Space Exploration program will reach the Moon by 2018.
- USAF 2018 Bomber project to likely replace B-52 and even B-1 has been mandated to enter service sometime this year.
- Aurora Programme aerocapture and soft landing technology demonstrator for Mars.
- The International nuclear fusion project ITER is expected to be completed.
- The Helium Centennial Time Columns Monument is expected to be opened 50 years after the time capsule was locked in 1968.
- According to notable futurist Ray Kurzweil, by 2018 “there will be a drug that lets you eat whatever you want without gaining weight.”
- The Fehmarn Belt bridge is expected to be completed.
- The Giant Magellan Telescope will be completed.
In fiction[change | change source]
Computer and video games[change | change source]
Games set in 2018:
- Krazy Ivan (1996)
- Trauma Center: Under the Knife (2005)
- Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations (2007)
Movies[change | change source]
Literature[change | change source]
Television series[change | change source]
- The storyline for the sci-fi television series seaQuest DSV begins in 2018.
- The second season of Code Geass takes place in 2018.
Science[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2018.|
- Calendar for February 2018 showing phases of the moon, moon-phases.net
- Boyle, A: "Cosmic Log" MSNBC, 10 October, 2006
- Tierney, John (2008-06-03). "The Future Is Now? Pretty Soon, at Least". New York Times.