|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1980s 1990s 2000s – 2010s – 2020s 2030s 2040s|
|Years:||2015 2016 2017 – 2018 – 2019 2020 2021|
2018 (MMXVIII) was a common year starting on Monday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2018th year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 18th year of the 3rd millennium, the 18th year of the 21st century, and the 9th year of the 2010s decade.
Events[change | change source]
- January 1 – Estonia takes over the Presidency of the Council of the European Union from the United Kingdom.
- January 20-22 – The United States government enters a shutdown due to a dispute over the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
- February did not experience a completely realized full moon this year
- February 9-25 – 2018 Winter Olympics were held in Pyeongchang, South Korea.
- March 1 – President Donald Trump announced import for tariff steel 25% and 10% of Aluminum.
- April 23 – A white van collided with numerous pedestrians killing nine and injuring sixteen others at Yonge Street in Toronto.
- June 14-July 15 — 2018 FIFA World Cup was held in Russia.
- July 1 – Andrés Manuel López Obrador is elected President of Mexico.
- July 1 – Bulgaria takes over the Presidency of the Council of the European Union from Estonia.
- July 27 – Mars made its closest approach to Earth since 2003. It will not be as close as the 2003 opposition.
- August 11 – The final Drum Corps International World Championship to be held in the Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana, after an 11-year run.
- September 16 – Swedish general election for the Riksdag take place.
- September 28 – An earthquake and tsunami hits Sulawesi, Indonesia killing 2,256 people.
- October 23 – The Hong Kong–Zhuhai–Macau Bridge is opened for the public to use. It is the longest bridge in the world that crosses a sea.
- November 6 – The United States mid-term elections take place.
- December 22 – A tsunami hits the Sunda Strait in Indonesia, killing more than 430 people.
Computer and video games[change | change source]
Games set in 2018:
- Fortnite (2018)
- Krazy Ivan (1996)
- Trauma Center: Under the Knife (2005)
- Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations (2007)
Movies[change | change source]
Literature[change | change source]
Television series[change | change source]
- The storyline for the sci-fi television series seaQuest DSV begins in 2018.
- The second season of Code Geass takes place in 2018.
Science[change | change source]
Deaths[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2018.|
- "Calendar for February 2018 showing phases of the moon, moon-phases.net". Archived from the original on 2008-10-12. Retrieved 2010-01-07.
- Austen, Ian; Stack, Liam (April 23, 2018). "Toronto Van Plows Along Sidewalk, Killing 9 in 'Pure Carnage'". The New York Times. Retrieved April 23, 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "World's longest sea crossing: Hong Kong-Zhuhai bridge opens". BBC News. October 23, 2018. Retrieved December 25, 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2005-02-14. Retrieved 2010-01-07.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- Pop, Sebastian. "100-Million-Core Supercomputers May Emerge by 2018". softpedia.
- "Driverless cars road ready by 2018: General Motors - CBC News". CBC. Associated Press. January 7, 2008.