Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1980s 1990s 2000s – 2010s – 2020s 2030s 2040s|
|Years:||2015 2016 2017 – 2018 – 2019 2020 2021|
2018 (MMXVIII) is a common year starting on Monday in the Gregorian calendar and is the current year. It is the 2018th year in the Common Era and Anno Domini designations, and the 18th year of the 21st century and 3rd millennium.
Events[change | change source]
- January 1 – Estonia takes over the Presidency of the Council of the European Union from the United Kingdom.
- January 20-22 - The United States government enters a shutdown due to a dispute over the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)
- February did not experience a completely realized full moon this year
- February 9-25 - 2018 Winter Olympics were held in Pyeongchang, South Korea.
- March 1 – President Donald Trump announced import for tariff steel 25% and 10% of Aluminum.
- April 23 – A white van collided with numerous pedestrians killing nine and injuring sixteen others at Yonge Street in Toronto.
Predicted events[change | change source]
- March 21 – Municipal elections in the Netherlands.
- July 1 – Presidential elections in Mexico.
- July 1 – Bulgaria takes over the Presidency of the Council of the European Union from Estonia.
- July 27 – Mars will make its closest approach to Earth since 2003. It will not be as close as the 2003 opposition.
- August 11 – The final Drum Corps International World Championship to be held in the Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Indiana, after an 11-year run.
- September 16 – Swedish general election for the Riksdag.
- November 6 – United States mid-term elections.
Unknown dates[change | change source]
- China's One-child policy is expected to end.
- 2018 Commonwealth Games – Host city was chosen in 2011.
- The London Convention, which prevents sea dumping, expires.
- 2018 FIFA World Cup (host country was chosen in 2010)
- Researchers and investors in space elevator technology hope to start funding the construction of the first elevator by 2031.
- NASA currently projects that its Vision for Space Exploration program will reach the Moon by 2018.
- USAF 2018 Bomber project to likely replace B-52 and even B-1 has been mandated to enter service sometime this year.
- Aurora Programme aerocapture and soft landing technology demonstrator for Mars.
- The International nuclear fusion project ITER is expected to be completed.
- The Helium Centennial Time Columns Monument is expected to be opened 50 years after the time capsule was locked in 1968.
- According to notable futurist Ray Kurzweil, by 2018 “there will be a drug that lets you eat whatever you want without gaining weight.”
- The Fehmarn Belt bridge is expected to be completed.
- The Giant Magellan Telescope will be completed.
Hit Songs[change | change source]
Computer and video games[change | change source]
Games set in 2018:
- Fortnite ( 2018 )
- Krazy Ivan (1996)
- Trauma Center: Under the Knife (2005)
- Phoenix Wright: Trials and Tribulations (2007)
Movies[change | change source]
Literature[change | change source]
Television series[change | change source]
- The storyline for the sci-fi television series seaQuest DSV begins in 2018.
- The second season of Code Geass takes place in 2018.
Science[change | change source]
Deaths[change | change source]
- Further information: Deaths in 2018
References[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to 2018.|
- Calendar for February 2018 showing phases of the moon, moon-phases.net
- Austen, Ian; Stack, Liam (April 23, 2018). "Toronto Van Plows Along Sidewalk, Killing 9 in 'Pure Carnage'". The New York Times. Retrieved April 23, 2018.
- Boyle, A: "Cosmic Log" MSNBC, 10 October, 2006
- Tierney, John (2008-06-03). "The Future Is Now? Pretty Soon, at Least". New York Times.