|Anthem: La Marseillaise (French)
’Ia ora ’o Tahiti Nui (Tahitian)
|Ethnic groups |
|Overseas collectivity of France|
• Overseas collectivity
|4,167 km2 (1,609 sq mi) (unranked)|
• Water (%)
• Land area
1,359.5 sq mi
• July 2021 estimate
• August 2012 census
|76/km2 (196.8/sq mi) (130th)|
|GDP (nominal)||2014 estimate|
|US$5.623 billion (not ranked)|
• Per capita
|US$20,098 (not ranked)|
|Currency||CFP franc (XPF)|
|Time zone||UTC-10, −9:30, -9|
|ISO 3166 code||PF|
French Polynesia (French: Polynésie française, Tahitian: Porinetia Farani) is a French "overseas collectivity" (French: collectivité d'outre mer, or COM) with the particular designation of "overseas country" (French: pays d'outre-mer, or POM) in the southern Pacific Ocean.
The country is made up of several groups of Polynesian islands. The most well-known is Tahiti, the most populous island, which is in the Society Islands group. The capital of the territory, Papeete, is also there.
Although it does not really belong in the territory, French Polynesia is in charge of affairs for Clipperton Island.
Other island groups include:
- Austral Islands
- Bass Islands often considered part of the Austral Islands
- Gambier Islands often considered part of the Tuamotu Archipelago
- Marquesas Islands
- Society Islands (including Tahiti)
- Tuamotu Archipelago
Aside from Tahiti, some other important atolls, islands, and island groups in French Polynesia are: Ahe, Bora Bora, Hiva `Oa, Huahine, Maiao, Maupiti, Mehetia, Moorea, Nuku Hiva, Raiatea, Tahaa, Tetiaroa, Tubuai, and Tupai.
References[change | change source]
- "French Polynesia". CIA The World Factbook. Archived from the original on 15 May 2016. Retrieved 19 August 2016.
- "R1- Population sans doubles comptes, des subdivisions, communes et communes associées de Polynésie française, de 1971 à 1996". ISPF. Archived from the original on 14 November 2012. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- "World Population Prospects 2022". population.un.org. United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division. Retrieved July 17, 2022.
- "World Population Prospects 2022: Demographic indicators by region, subregion and country, annually for 1950-2100" (XSLX). population.un.org ("Total Population, as of 1 July (thousands)"). United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division. Retrieved July 17, 2022.
- "Population des communes de Polynésie française". INSEE. Retrieved 13 October 2013.
- Referred to in the source as "local French"
- Referred to in the source as "metropolitan French"