New Zealand at the Olympics
New Zealand at the Olympics is a history which began in 1908.
History[change | change source]
A team from New Zealand was first at the Olympic Games in 1908. They have been in every Summer Olympic Games since then. For their first two Games in 1908 and 1912, New Zealand was with Australia in a combined Australasia team. New Zealand first sent an independent team in 1920.
New Zealand athletes have won a total of 103 medals at the Summer Games. The most successful sport is athletics. New Zealand has only won a single medal at the Winter Games. The silver medal won by Annelise Coberger in alpine skiing at the 1992 Winter Olympics was the first medal won at the Winter Games by a Southern Hemisphere nation.
National Olympic Committee[change | change source]
Participation[change | change source]
Being in the remote South Pacific, New Zealanders had to take long sea voyages to attend the early Olympics. It wasn’t until 1920 that New Zealand sent its first team. Before that three New Zealanders won medals for Australasian teams in 1908 and 1912.
As of 21 June 2015 1111 athletes have represented New Zealand at the Olympic Games.
Medal tables[change | change source]
Medals by Summer Games[change | change source]
|1908 London||as part of Australasia|
|1912 Stockholm||as part of Australasia|
|1932 Los Angeles||0||1||0||1|
|1968 Mexico City||1||0||2||3|
|1984 Los Angeles||8||1||2||11|
|Total including medals as part of Australasian team||43||18||41||102|
- bronze medal won by Harry Kerr in Men's 3500 metre walk in Athletics
- gold medal won by Malcolm Champion as a member of the Men's 4x200 metre freestyle relay in Swimming
- bronze medal won by Tony Wilding in Indoor men's singles in Tennis
Medals by Winter Games[change | change source]
|1956 Cortina d'Ampezzo||did not participate|
|1960 Squaw Valley||0||0||0||0|
|1964 Innsbruck||did not participate|
|1980 Lake Placid||0||0||0||0|
|2002 Salt Lake City||0||0||0||0|
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Official abbreviations" at The Games of the XVIII Olympiad, Tokyo, 1964, [p. 9 of 409 PDF]; retrieved 2012-10-12.
- Leggat, David (11 June 2009). "21 Kiwi Olympians fail to register". The New Zealand Herald. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/olympic-games/news/article.cfm?c_id=502&objectid=10577732. Retrieved 30 October 2011.
Other websites[change | change source]
- New Zealand at Olympic.org
- Athletics in the 1966 Encyclopaedia of New Zealand has a paragraph on each Olympiad and Empire Games to 1964
- The Olympics (NZHistory.net.nz)
- The Joseph Romanos list of our best Olympians
- Medal Count for NZ at DatabaseOlympics.com (total of 78 not complete)