Azerbaijan first took part in the Olympic Games as an independent nation in 1996. They have taken part in all summer and winter Olympics since then. Before Azerbaijani athletes were part of the Soviet Union at the Olympics from 1952 to 1988. In 1992 they were part of the Unified Team.
Azerbaijani athletes have won a total of twenty-six medals at the Summer Olympic Games. The nation has not won any medals at the Winter Olympic Games.
The National Olympic Committee for Azerbaijan was formed in 1992 and recognized by the International Olympic Committee in 1993.
Media related to Azerbaijan at the Olympic Games at Wikimedia Commons
- "National Olympic Committee of the Azerbaijani Republic". International Olympic Committee. Retrieved 2011-12-09.
- "Azerbaijani Wrestler Namig Abdullayev Wins Olympic Gold," in Azerbaijan International, Vol. 8:4 (Winter 2000), p. 76.
- "Zemfira Meftakhetdinova: Right on Target, Olympic Gold, Skeet Shooter," in Azerbaijan International, Vol. 8:4 (Winter 2000), p. 79.
- "Vugar Alakbarov, Olympic Bronze in Boxing," in Azerbaijan International, Vol. 8:4 (Winter 2000), p. 78.
- Azerbaijan profile at London2012.com