This is a message board for talking about tasks on Wikipedia that only administrators can do. Please put new messages at the bottom of the talk page or to start a new discussion.
Please note that the messages on this page are archived periodically. A message may therefore have been archived. Note however, that the archives must not be modified, so if something needs discussing, please start a new discussion on this page.
Are you in the right place?
- Use Vandalism in progress to report serious and urgent vandalism.
- Use Requests for rollback to ask for rollback tool.
Page protections[change | change source]
Hey all! I've recently noticed an increasing number of protections, see Special:Log/protect. I actually like protection against vandalism. I think it should probably be even more used. However, something I generally don't like is the permanent protection. There are surely (few) articles that warrant a permanent protection, same with a protection against recreation. For most pages I'd prefer a timely limited protection time. Over the time, subjects move out of the scope of vandals or a protected title becomes then notable. I think it's not actually the best practice to protect pages indefinitely. I right now thought about removing some of those indefinite protections set quite some time ago. However, before doing so, I'd like to know what you think about that actually? Some articles that come to my mind, which might be worth to unprotect (at least for test purposes) are Banjo-Kazooie, Dragon Ball, Croatian Liberation Movement or List of 100 greatest NHL players by The Hockey News. -Barras talk 17:49, 6 February 2015 (UTC)
- I generally don't like protection unless an article gets heavy vandalism. That being said the reason for the hockey one is because its contents will never change and it gets vandalized extremely often. The Croation one we can try unprotecting but it used to get hit alot. The others I don't see an issue with. But I definitely wouldn't for the hockey one, especially since its only semi-protected. -DJSasso (talk) 18:07, 6 February 2015 (UTC)
- If you're talking about articles (as opposed to administrative pages or high-visibility templates), you have a good point. What do you think is a good length of time for different cases (salting vs. vandalizing existing pages)? --Auntof6 (talk) 18:12, 6 February 2015 (UTC)
- I'm only talking about main space articles. Templates and other meta stuff are a different story and there it is way more likely that a permanent protection is justified. I don't really know what a good length is. In most cases, I'd assume that one year is more than enough, however, there are also things that should surely be protected for longer or shorter terms. However, a recent example I think that is simply too long for a protection against recreation is Judah Bennett or Bailey Bella Jones. I simply don't think that a permanent protection is really useful (that doesn't mean I disagree with the protection, just with the set time!). Those, as well as the ones named above are just examples of pages that have been indefinitely protected. -Barras talk 18:59, 6 February 2015 (UTC)
- I think its an attempt to get articles onto the wiki without them getting deleted. Basically it appears to be spam to me. -DJSasso (talk) 20:23, 12 February 2015 (UTC)
User:ToQ100gou[change | change source]
Page is here, I accidentally made a second account which I am using now, need page protected to prevent any vandal (not administrators, just random vandals) claiming it's a sockpuppet, and also other vandalism which could happen in circumstances.
Protection Request[change | change source]
Hi all. Article which named List of highest-grossing Tollywood (Telugu) movies is facing so much ip vandalism. It will make glad if you protect or semi-protect this article. Watch it's history here. Thank you. PK talk 05:21, 16 February 2015 (UTC)
Pakistani POV articles[change | change source]
Looneyboy6 and friends[change | change source]
- ...as well as IPv6 range 2601:b:ac80:7b6::/64, based on contribs on EN, yet to be active here
Hi all, please be advised of the above and editing habits, as well as Wikipedia:Administrators'_noticeboard/Current_issues_and_requests_archive_45#User:Looneyboy6 (and maybe Rottweiler, with long history). He has a tendency to focus on articles related to dogs or rappers. Not quite sure whether no clue or trolling. Previous attempts to communicate have been unsuccessful, and nowadays he seems to be obsessed with convincing us to "accept" his changes. Chenzw Talk 15:26, 22 February 2015 (UTC)
Aas Mohammad Ali Abbasi[change | change source]
This is a user promoting himself at enwp, commons, and simple. Could you please search from time to time and block and delete creations?
He will sometimes also create accounts in the name of his parents or co-stars with the purpose of making a userpage infobox littered with his name.
Please paste any account names found at the "Not yet filed" section of my enwp orange sandbox. I will then file names en masse from time to time at the enwp SPI for the record. I will also do a commons image search for the accounts as well as request global locks.
Here are 4 needing blocks and userpage deletion (already listed at the orange sandbox):