|- elevation||30 m (98 ft)|
|Area||1,282.23 km² (495 sq mi)|
|Population||97,313 (2010) |
|Density||76 /km² (197 /sq mi)|
9 municipal districts
|Area code||1-809 1-829 1-849|
It was created on 1943. It was part of the Barahona province before being elevated to the category of province. It was called Baoruco because the northern side of the Sierra de Bahoruco was part of the province; with the creation of the Independencia Province, that part went to the new province but the name was not changed.
Location[change | change source]
Population[change | change source]
Its population represents 1.0% of the total population of the country and the province is ranked as the 23th (out of 31 plus the National District) more populated province.
Geography[change | change source]
The Baoruco province is in the Hoya de Enriquillo valley, a very dry valley with some parts below sea level; its capital, Neiba, has an elevation of only 10 m above sea level. In this valley is the Lake Enriquillo, and the northeastern part of the lake, about of third of its surface, belongs to the Baoruco province, including its small islands of Barbarita and Islita.
The Sierra de Neiba runs across the northern part of the province, on the border with the San Juan province.
The most important river in the province is the Yaque del Sur River, one of the longest in the country; it forms the eastern limit of the province and its water is used for irrigation. Other rivers are Las Marías and Panzo.
The climate of the province is a tropical climate, very hot and dry in the valley, but it is cooler on the mountains. In the valley, cacti and other plants of dry regions are common. There are some rainforests in the mountains.
The only important road in the province goes through the southern part of the province, along the valley, and most important towns of the province are on this road.
Municipalities[change | change source]
- Neiba, head municipality of the province
- El Palmar (M.D.)
- El Salado (M.D.)
- Los Ríos
- Las Clavellinas (M.D.)
- Villa Jaragua
Economy[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "IX Censo Nacional de Población y Vivienda 2010." (in Spanish) (PDF). Oficina Nacional de Estadística. June 2012. http://censo2010.one.gob.do/volumenes_censo_2010/vol1.pdf. Retrieved 23 September 2013.
- Oficina Nacional de Estadística. "IX Censo Nacional de Población y Vivienda. Informe Básico" (in Spanish) (PDF). http://censo2010.one.gob.do/resultados/Resumen_resultados_generales_censo_2010.pdf. Retrieved 2013-1-29.
- Superficies a nivel de municipios, Oficina Nacional de Estadística
- Oficina Nacional de Estadística. "División Territorial 2008" (in Spanish) (PDF). http://www.one.gob.do/index.php?module=uploads&func=download&fileId=1098. Retrieved 2009-10-01.