List of Disney animated movies
The following is a list of movies which are said to be the Walt Disney Feature Animation (WDFA) canon. They are also known as the Walt Disney Animated Classics. The canon includes animated movies that were or are being produced entirely by WDFA. Movies which are not part of the canon are movies which include both animation and live-action, spin-offs from Disney television programs, the direct-to-video movies produced by the DisneyToons studio in Australia (some of which received theatrical releases), or the Pixar movies (which Disney "presents" but does not produce). WDFA once announced that Home on the Range (released April 2, 2004) would be its final traditionally animated movie. They also said that from Chicken Little (released November 4, 2005) onwards, all future WDFA movies will be computer animated. However, this changed in July 2006 when a new traditionally animated movie, The Princess and the Frog, was revealed to be in development.
Movies[change | change source]
Released[change | change source]
|Walt Disney Animation Studios|
|Walt Disney Television Animation|
|Other Disney studio|
Upcoming or in production[change | change source]
|Title||Intended theatrical release date
by Walt Disney Pictures/
Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures
|Incredibles 2||June 15 2018||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2||November 21 2018||Walt Disney Animation Studios|
|Untitled third Planes film||April 12 2019||DisneyToon Studios|
|Toy Story 4||June 21 2019||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Frozen 2||November 27 2019||Walt Disney Animation Studios|
|Untitled film||March 13 2020||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Untitled film||June 19 2020||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Untitled film||November 25 2020||Walt Disney Animation Studios|
|Untitled film||June 18 2021||Pixar Animation Studios|
|Untitled film||November 24 2021||Walt Disney Animation Studios|
|Untitled Lin-Manuel Miranda/Byron Howard-developed Disney Animation film||TBA||Walt Disney Animation Studios|
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- War documentary, released by United Artists after having been refused by RKO
- Film included several minutes worth of non-animated narration clips, mainly of author Alexander 'Sasha' Seversky
- Fischer, Russ (August 9, 2010). "Disney Sets 2012 Release Dates For John Carter of Mars and Frankenweenie". Retrieved August 4, 2011.
- "Disney Sets Animation Slate To Infinity And Beyond". Deadline. May 29, 2013. Retrieved June 1, 2013.
- Jardine, William (July 11, 2013). "Tonnes of New Details Revealed About Disney's Upcoming Slate!". Big Screen Animation. Retrieved July 11, 2013.
- Kilday, Gregg (December 4, 2013). "Pixar vs. Disney Animation: John Lasseter's Tricky Tug-of-War". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- Kit, Borys (July 17, 2012). "Andrew Stanton to Direct Pixar's Finding Nemo Sequel". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved July 17, 2012.
- "Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur' Pushed Back Nearly 18 Months After Losing Director". Hollywoodreporter.com. 2011-11-17. Retrieved 2013-09-19.
- Graser, Marc (October 20, 2014). "Disney Sails Into Theaters With Animated 'Moana' in 2016". Variety. Retrieved October 21, 2014.
- Hipes, Patrick (October 8, 2015). "Disney: 'Ant Man And The Wasp' A Go, 'Incredibles 2' Dated & More". Deadline. Retrieved October 9, 2015.
- "meet the newest disney pixar film, coco". disney. 2015. Retrieved August 14, 2015.
- Graser, Marc (November 6, 2014). "Pixar's 'Toy Story 4′ Set to Play in Theaters in 2017". Variety. Retrieved November 7, 2014.
- Tilly, Chris (Mar 24, 2016). "Wreck-It Ralph 2 Still Happening, Might Feature Mario". IGN. Retrieved June 18, 2016.
- Lang, Brent & Khatchatourian, Maane (April 25, 2017). "Disney Dates 'Lion King' and 'Frozen 2,' Pushes Fifth 'Indiana Jones' Film to 2020". Variety. Retrieved 2017-04-25.
- Lenker, Maureen Lee (October 10, 2017). "Disney shelves planned Jack and the Beanstalk animated re-telling Gigantic". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2017-10-10.
We are focusing our energies on another project that has been in the works, which we’ll be sharing more about soon, now set for Thanksgiving 2020.”
- "Disney's Teaming Lin Manuel Miranda with Zootopia Co-Director for Secret Animated Film". Cinemablend.
Notes[change | change source]
- Listed are the original theatrical release dates in the United States (or other non-U.S. territories) when the film was contributed by the Walt Disney Company. Different distributors are attributed and credited for distributing each film throughout the history of the Walt Disney Company. Films released before 1954 were released by RKO Radio Pictures (with the exception of Victory Through Air Power, refused by RKO and then released by United Artists), films released after 1955 were released by Disney-owned Buena Vista Distribution and through its current name Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, and films released after 1985 are co-credited with Walt Disney Pictures.
- Originally distributed by Walt Disney Productions. Original RKO date of release was April 1 1941
- Released by Walt Disney Pictures in North America
- Not released theatrically in the United States
- Released by Disney outside North America
- Limited release in the United States.
- Originally released by Touchstone Pictures. Subsequently reissued by Walt Disney Pictures.
- Released by Walt Disney Pictures.
- Co-production with The Walt Disney Company India Pvt. Ltd.
- The film studio ImageMovers Digital, run by Robert Zemeckis, was owned by Disney from 2007 to 2010. These films were performance captured animated films.
- Released by Touchstone Pictures.
Studio Ghibli films original release dates