Hercules (1997 movie)
|Narrated by||Charlton Heston|
|Music by||Alan Menken|
|Editing by||Tom Finan|
|Distributed by||Buena Vista Pictures Distribution|
|Release date(s)||June 15, 1997(New Amsterdam Theatre)
June 27, 1997 (North America)
|Running time||93 minutes|
|Money made||$252.7 million|
Hercules is a 1997 American animated musical movie. It was produced by Walt Disney Feature Animation and released by Walt Disney Pictures. It is the 35th animated movie in the Walt Disney Animated Classics series. The movie was directed by Ron Clements and John Musker. The movie is based on the legendary Greek mythology hero Heracles (known in the movie by his Roman name, Hercules), the son of Zeus, in Greek mythology.
"Go the Distance" was nominated for both the Academy Award for Best Original Song and the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song. It lost both to Celine Dion's hit "My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic.
Cast[change | change source]
- Tate Donovan as Hercules, based on the mythological deity Heracles.
- Danny DeVito as Philoctetes/Phil.
- James Woods as Hades.
- Susan Egan as Megara.
- Frank Welker as Pegasus.
- Rip Torn and Samantha Eggar as Zeus and Hera, Hercules' birth-parents.
- Lillias White, Cheryl Freeman, LaChanze, Roz Ryan and Vanéese Y. Thomas as the Muses (Calliope, Melpomene, Terpsichore, Thalia and Clio respectively), the narrators of the movie's story.
- Bobcat Goldthwait and Matt Frewer as Pain and Panic, Hades' henchmen.
- Patrick Pinney as the Cyclops.
- Hal Holbrook and Barbara Barrie as Amphitryon and Alcmene, Hercules' adoptive parents.
- Amanda Plummer, Carole Shelley and Paddi Edwards as Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos, the three Fates who predict Hades' attempt to conquer Olympus.
- Paul Shaffer as Hermes.
- Jim Cummings as Nessus.
- Wayne Knight as Demetrius
- Keith David as Apollo
- Charlton Heston has a cameo role as the opening narrator.
Awards and nominations[change | change source]
- Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song - "Go the Distance" (Nominated)
- Best Fantasy Movie (Nominated)
- Blockbuster Entertainment Awards
- Favorite Animated Family Movie (Nominated)
- Favorite Song from a Movie - "Go the Distance" (Nominated)
- Best Performance in a Voice Over Role - Young Actor Josh Keaton for Young Hercules's voice (Nominated)
|Nominated||Animated Theatrical Feature|
|Won||Individual Achievement in Producing||Alice Dewey (Producer)
John Musker (Producer)
Ron Clements (Producer)
|Won||Individual Achievement in Directing||John Musker (Director)
Ron Clements (Director)
|Nominated||Individual Achievement in Character Animation||Ken Duncan (Supervising Animator - Meg)|
|Won||Individual Achievement in Character Animation||Nik Ranieri (Supervising Animator - Hades)|
|Won||Individual Achievement in Effects Animation||Mauro Maressa (Effects Supervisor)|
References[change | change source]
- "Hercules". British Board of Film Classification. http://bbfc.co.uk/releases/hercules-1997. Retrieved July 21, 2015.
- "Hercules (1997)". Box Office Mojo. http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=hercules.htm. Retrieved February 3, 2008.
- "1997 (70th)". awardsdatabase.oscars.org. http://awardsdatabase.oscars.org/ampas_awards/BasicSearch?action=searchLink&displayType=1&BSFromYear=70. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- "HFPA Awards Search". www.goldenglobes.org. http://www.goldenglobes.org/browse/film/25917. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- "Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films, USA: 1998". www.imdb.com. http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Awards/Academy_of_Science_Fiction_Fantasy_And_Horror_Films_USA/1998. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- "Blockbuster Entertainment Awards: 1998". www.imdb.com. http://www.imdb.com/Sections/Awards/Blockbuster_Entertainment_Awards/1998. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
- "Nineteenth Annual Youth in Film Awards 1996-1997". www.youngartistawards.org. http://www.youngartistawards.org/pastnoms19.htm. Retrieved 2009-01-09.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Hercules|
- Official website
- Hercules at AllRovi
- Hercules at the Internet Movie Database
- Hercules at Rotten Tomatoes
- Hercules at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- Hercules at Box Office Mojo