Wikipedia:Simple talk

From Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Wikipedia:Simple Talk)
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Unable to convert[change source]

I tried to convert some bare references into properly formatted references using those automatic mechanism. But I was unable to do it. My only way was to do them manually. I tried at Miss Manipur. What may be the actual problem? And could anyone convert those references for me using automatic way (if possible)? Please! Haoreima (talk) 04:44, 18 December 2021 (UTC)[reply]

@Haoreima I had a similar issue when I tried to translate fr:Forêt guyanaise into the English Wikipedia for some reason. Gave up eventually. SHB2000 (talk) 00:33, 19 December 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@Haoreima and @SHB2000 -- I was having trouble with the manual, as well, though only for websites, not other forms. TBH, I just went over to enwiki and did them there, then copied them here. Kind of a pain, though, and not something I could have my students do. Castilibrary2 (talk) 05:59, 19 December 2021 (UTC)[reply]
@SHB2000, Castilibrary2: Some months ago, I could convert any citations from bare link to organised link through automatic mechanism. Nowadays, only links from Google Books, Archive org, etc. are possible but news and magazine links couldn't. This is the issue! For example, at page Phouoibi! Haoreima (talk) 02:13, 3 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Castilibrary2, SHB2000, Ferien: Hey guys! I don't know if we should post this issue at meta:Community Wishlist Survey 2022/Citations. Presently, proposals are being submitted. We can take this opportunity. :-) Haoreima (talk) 15:17, 11 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Excellent idea! If you want to take the lead, I will certainly follow up with my experiences. Castilibrary2 (talk) 16:57, 11 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Castilibrary2: Yeah, I had posted it. :-) Haoreima (talk) 16:58, 11 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Hah, sorry. Was just reading your post over there and thinking, "This thoughtful person spoke about the problem very nicely," and saw it was you! Turns out, cannot add to it from work as have specific-Wiki exemptions from a major IP block, but will put on my calendar to comment after I get off today. Castilibrary2 (talk) 17:25, 11 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
If you want, then go for it :) SHB2000 (talk) 04:35, 12 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Core Contest[change source]

Hello, Simple Wikipedia editors! :) My name is Vat, and I'm not very active on simplewiki, but I'm active on the English Wikipedia and English Wikivoyage. I recently had an idea for a simplewiki editing competition I've been talking about with some admins here, who like the idea. BRPever suggested I bring the idea up here, so other Simple Wikipedia editors can talk about it.

On enwiki, there's a competition called the Core Contest. The point of the Core Contest (TCC) is to find important articles that are in bad shape, and improve them over a six-week period. You can look at the entrants and winners from last year to get an idea of how the contest works. The contest has cash prizes, so the people who make the biggest improvements to an article win a small amount of money as thanks for their hard work. On enwiki, this is funded by Wikimedia UK.

The next enwiki TCC will run in February. BRPever and I are considering hosting a TCC on simplewiki. TCC seems like a good idea on simplewiki, because many important articles here are stubs or redlinked. The Vital Articles list includes many important articles that don't exist on simplewiki, or exist only as stubs, and a competition to encourage people to create and improve them could get a lot of important work done. Because simplewiki is an important project for audiences like children and English language learners, this could do a lot to expand free knowledge worldwide.

If simplewiki editors like the idea, we could look into getting a grant from the WMF to fund the competition. We could also consider getting a CentralNotice to advertise the contest on lots of projects. This could encourage people experienced with article writing elsewhere to edit simplewiki, helping expand the project. I'm coming here to see if simplewiki editors as a whole like the idea, and if it's something the simplewiki community would be interested in participating in. BRPever is interested in the idea, as is Vermont, but we would need to get a wider range of opinions to know if this is a thing people want to do.

Thank you for your time, and I'm interested in hearing from you. Vaticidalprophet (talk) 11:24, 8 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

I think this is a good idea overall and I'm very happy to help out if I'm needed but we've got to consider: there are lots of things different from enwiki and simplewiki, and if we are trying to attract editors from other wikis, we need to make sure they can create simple articles. The core articles are typically the most difficult and complex articles to create (that's mainly why they haven't been created yet) and having tons more articles to simplifty from the flood of articles that will come in in a contest may be a problem. --Ferien (talk) 15:36, 8 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
We would need to check possible entrants to make sure they would be able to participate. I was thinking mostly about the opposite problem (screening out people who can't write well enough at all, not just not simply enough), but that's important too. Of course, someone whose article wasn't simple enough wouldn't win the contest.
Core articles can be hard to write, but one unexpected thing about them is they can be easy to write, too -- because they're very general, you don't have to get too technical. I found that on enwiki, the TCC articles were often simpler than a more niche article on a similar topic would be. Vaticidalprophet (talk) 15:47, 8 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Unfortunately, writing a language in simple terms often requires a higher language proficiency than non-simple articles, given the many grammatical and word choice possibilities that one needs to juggle to best explain complex concepts simply. See WP:HOW for more specific information. However, I don't really think it'll be an issue here. We have had edit-a-thon type projects before, which has worked well, and we can always check and improve articles that don't meet community standards. I'd be happy to participate in this. Vermont (talk) 23:34, 8 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Yes, I was trying to find the best way to put that -- simple language can be very hard to write. But it can be easier, surprisingly, on some of these "big articles", because core articles tend to be about broad ideas and not the technical details that need harder language. I'm happy to hear people like the idea! Vaticidalprophet (talk) 12:31, 9 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I'm interested. Anyone feel some kind of unofficial pre-contest qualifier to assess anyone's simple writing skill level? Darkfrog24 (talk) 22:40, 8 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Something that's pretty easy to implement, and cross check: Sentence length, one idea per sentence. What about a team of established SEWP editors. Before the contest ends (like halfway through): New editors get one "language simplicity review" per article, where these editors can point out problematic sections?--Eptalon (talk) 01:11, 9 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
The usual TCC structure involves a panel of judges. Usually the judges have checked articles at the beginning and end, but on simplewiki the idea you propose of checking in the middle as well sounds good. Vaticidalprophet (talk) 12:32, 9 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
My idea would be that the editors reviewing for language would not be part of the other judges; they'd simply point out isssues with the language complexity of the article (e.g. on the article talk page). The judges would then be able to see the development, and could assess whether the issues had been fixed. Note:Simple Wikipedia is not about adhering to word lists, it is about explaining well..--Eptalon (talk) 15:53, 9 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Hello everyone. This idea was brought to me by Vat, and I liked it very much. If we get approval for CentralNotice, it can be a good opportunity to introduce our wiki to users and readers from other communities. The progress of the contest can be monitored as we go, and guidance to the participants can be provided by the people already familiar with Simple English. It can be judges or any member of the community. Thanks --BRP ever 04:15, 11 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Just keep in mind that if we do go onto CentralNotice then a lot of people will see it. We will need to be careful because we could get a very large amount of pages to review. No other editing contest we have ever had before has had CentralNotice, so instead of getting around 10 people in a competition CentralNotice may increase that to 100s. Also this post has only been up for 3 days now so we might want to leave it a bit longer to see what other people think. --Ferien (talk) 16:09, 11 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
As much as I would like to get more people over here. I don't think we could remotely handle the crush of people that would come from being on a CentralNotice. Not even slightly. I should also point out we actually have all the WP:VITAL articles created since it was mentioned above that we were missing many. That being said many of them need work. 100% in board with doing a local event to do this, but I do not think we could handle the flood of articles from advertising to other wikis. We already have a hard time keeping up with fixing articles from people coming over from other wikis assuming they know how to write simple and don't at all do so. People often don't realize it is very hard to write simple as opposed to writing just regular English. -Djsasso (talk) 16:23, 11 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I discussed the CN opposition with Ferien on Discord and was asked to repost it here. It's extremely unlikely a CN would result in a crush of as many people as worried. The enwiki TCC is advertised extremely broadly across the entirety of that project, which is a much larger project than simplewiki, and still doesn't attract many signups; last year there were 17 signups, of which about two-thirds made any significant edits. 5 people were awarded prizes, which means more than one-third of the participants with significant edits received a prize. That's on a project with an order of magnitude more editors. On a project simplewiki's size, CN advertising would be needed just to get enough people to make it viable to run. As well, CN doesn't necessarily mean a huge blast across all of Wikimedia -- it can be very tightly focused on specific demographics, which would be the plan here, and which would result in a much smaller and more manageable uptake.
With regards to the "all Vital Articles exist on simplewiki" comment, I'm not just referring to Vital level 3 (which is the one linked from en:WP:VITAL), but also other levels. Many (most?) of the articles in levels 4 and 5 are missing, and many of those are still very core. Vaticidalprophet (talk) 22:11, 11 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Yeah Ferien had mentioned you talking about it. And that sounds good. But it wasn't so much the participants that I was concerned about as presumably people taking part in it would try hard to be simple etc because of wanting to excel in the contest. It was the people who didn't actually sign up but came because they had a link put up in front of them a little more blatantly than an interwiki link on the side. Those coming over and making a few edits here in more of a drive by method. However, I am sure you will get support based on the below. As I said love the contest I am just not sure about the advertising. -Djsasso (talk) 20:39, 13 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Support as proposed. I'll volunteer to assist with the contest in anyway I can. Operator873 connect 21:14, 11 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Oppose without reservation. The idea of getting people to work on articles with the prospect of, essentially, getting a cash prize for contributing the most to an article doesn't sound right to me. It shouldn't need to take the carrot of getting money being dangled in front of someone's face, to get them to contribute. DaneGeld (talk) 23:10, 11 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Hello @DaneGeld, Cash prize is a sort of award here, and is often seen in several events around Wikimedia community. This contest isn't the first of this kind. And it's not really a lot of money to make people write pages for one and half month just to earn it. It's a small sum given to the winners as a token of appreciation. It is neither given, nor received in the manner you just pointed out. I have won some contest in Nepali wikipedia, got around $70. But I didn't participate in the contest for the money. I participated for the fun of it, and that small reward, gave satisfaction that no other $70 would. Thanks--BRP ever 16:49, 13 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
We've also had cash prizes on other contests here, like Wiki Loves Women South Asia for example. People working in these competitions are usually competing to improve the encyclopedia, not to earn the cash. --Ferien (talk) 20:30, 13 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
That's fine. I won't stand in the way of the contest, but I won't be contributing to something I morally disagree with. In the words of Dragon's Den, "I'm out." DaneGeld (talk) 21:30, 13 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Neutral It seems a good idea, but I share similar thoughts as Ferien. If the articles are not simple enough, that would go on en, not here. SHB2000 (talk) 00:08, 13 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Support - looks like a great idea 😁 - TNT 14:52, 13 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I can Support this now. Vat has addressed all my concerns here. And as I have said already, I am very happy to help in reviewing the articles. --Ferien (talk) 16:15, 13 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
I'd like to join the contest, so Support. I've been working to make enwiki content simpler, and I'm keen to see if I can take it a few steps further here. I was at first not that keen on cash prizes, but I know that this can mean a lot of some editors, for instance getting them a better computer to work on Wikipedia (or simply rent, also quite vital for editing work). Femkemilene (talk) 18:05, 13 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
  • Support, but monetary rewards might need in depth consideration as there can be disputes in judging etc. Oppose using CN to promote as clearly we cannot handle the load coming from multiple wikis as CN can be very pervasive in reach. One exception is that we tailor the CN settings that only certain amount of notifications, which in that sense a village pump announcement can work equally well or MMS. Camouflaged Mirage (talk) 08:57, 15 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Community Wishlist Survey 2022[change source]

Community Wishlist Survey Lamp.svg

The Community Wishlist Survey 2022 is now open!

This survey is the process where communities decide what the Community Tech team should work on over the next year. We encourage everyone to submit proposals until the deadline on 23 January, or comment on other proposals to help make them better. The communities will vote on the proposals between 28 January and 11 February.

The Community Tech team is focused on tools for experienced Wikimedia editors. You can write proposals in any language, and we will translate them for you. Thank you, and we look forward to seeing your proposals! SGrabarczuk (WMF) (talk) 18:10, 10 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Feminism and Folklore 2022[change source]

Please help translate to your language

Greetings! You are invited to participate in Feminism and Folklore 2022 writing competion. This year Feminism and Folklore will focus on feminism, women biographies and gender-focused topics for the project in league with Wiki Loves Folklore gender gap focus with folk culture theme on Wikipedia.

You can help us in enriching the folklore documentation on Wikipedia from your region by creating or improving articles focused on folklore around the world, including, but not limited to folk festivals, folk dances, folk music, women and queer personalities in folklore, folk culture (folk artists, folk dancers, folk singers, folk musicians, folk game athletes, women in mythology, women warriors in folklore, witches and witch hunting, fairy tales and more. You can contribute to new articles or translate from the list of suggested articles here.

You can also support us in organizing the contest on your local Wikipedia by signing up your community to participate in this project and also translating the project page and help us spread the word in your native language.

Learn more about the contest and prizes from our project page. Feel free to contact us on our talk page or via Email if you need any assistance...

Thank you.

Feminism and Folklore Team,

Tiven2240 --05:49, 11 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

@Tiven2240: Hello! I just want to ask you a query! "You can help us in enriching the folklore documentation on Wikipedia from your region by creating or improving articles focused on folklore around the world, including, but not limited to folk festivals, folk dances, folk music, women and queer personalities in folklore, folk culture... ". In the above paragraph, I have a doubt. (1) Can we expand already created articles also? (2) What is meant by including, but not limited to? Does this mean that the mentioned topics are included but it's not only these mentioned topics but there are many many more topics eligible? Haoreima (talk) 15:37, 11 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Hi @Haoreima,
Answering 1st question - you are free to expand already created articles, be sure to have 3000 bytes and 300 words in expansion for the jury to consider it for points.
2nd - The main aim of the project is to create/expand articles regarding local folk cultures and Women. It is not just limited to just folk dance, music, culture but every aspects of folk such as folk cusines, folk mythologies, etc.
We look forward for immense participation from you and the simple English Wikipedia community :) --Tiven2240 (talk) 16:39, 11 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Tiven2240: Is the contest to be organised on the basis of country or on the basis of particular languages' wikis? I am asking this because I saw a French version of the contest organising only for the country of Benin🇧🇯 (an African French speaking nation)! Seems it excludes France even though it's in French. In another case, Bengali is organising for both India and Bangladesh at a single contest. While Assamese is organising only for India! I saw all these from here. (1) Could you please clarify what is the rule of the contest based on country, language and wikis? (2) Can a participant expand article created by another editor? Haoreima (talk) 04:24, 13 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Hi @Haoreima, just to clarify that this wiki - the simple English Wikipedia is a global wiki wherein people from various countries can participate. Some Wikipedias are language specific such as Assamese Gujarati Marathi etc which are all based in India but have different language Wikipedia. So this project is not limited to just one country or language. Any person from any part of globe who is an editor on simple English Wikipedia can participate in the contest.
2) yes a participant can expand article created by another user.
Feel free to ping me or contact us on project talkpage if you need any assistance. Best wishes. --Tiven2240 (talk) 09:13, 13 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
This looks similar to the Wiki Loves Women event back in October. I could help as a judge and organizer, but is anyone else available to help with me? I ended up doing most of it myself last time. Darkfrog24 (talk) 21:07, 18 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

I started a project page [1] Darkfrog24 (talk) 02:38, 19 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

I found an article that needs cleaning up.[change source]

Like I said, I found an article that needs major cleanup. I tried to clean it up, but the info is so jumbled I can't even follow along. I came here because the person who responded to my help request on my user talk page couldn't fix it either.(No offense to them) I'm hoping someone here knows how to deal with pages like these.

Here's the article: Nokia 8800

Thanks, Midknight of the Abyss (talk) 17:37, 11 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Call for Feedback about the Board of Trustees elections is now open[change source]

The Call for Feedback: Board of Trustees elections is now open and will close on 7 February 2022.

With this Call for Feedback, the Movement Strategy and Governance team is taking a different approach. This approach incorporates community feedback from 2021. Instead of leading with proposals, the Call is framed around key questions from the Board of Trustees. The key questions came from the feedback about the 2021 Board of Trustees election. The intention is to inspire collective conversation and collaborative proposal development about these key questions.

There are two confirmed questions that will be asked during this Call for Feedback:

  1. What is the best way to ensure more diverse representation among elected candidates? The Board of Trustees noted the importance of selecting candidates who represent the full diversity of the Wikimedia movement. The current processes have favored volunteers from North America and Europe.
  2. What are the expectations for the candidates during the election? Board candidates have traditionally completed applications and answered community questions. How can an election provide appropriate insight into candidates while also appreciating candidates’ status as volunteers?

There is one additional question that may be presented during the Call about selection processes. This question is still under discussion, but the Board wanted to give insight into the confirmed questions as soon as possible. Hopefully if an additional question is going to be asked, it will be ready during the first week of the Call for Feedback.

Join the conversation.


Movement Strategy and Governance, Zuz (WMF) (talk) 17:48, 11 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Please rename "Alexine Tinné" to "Alexine Tinne"[change source]

Could an admin please change the name of this page to Alexine Tinne? See the Talk page in the English Wikipedia. — CvZ (talk) 09:31, 12 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

CvZ,  Done --Ferien (talk) 17:16, 12 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Thank you! CvZ (talk) 22:28, 14 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Talk:The Game of Death#?[change source] (talk) 20:26, 12 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Hi! I am not sure what you are referring to?... --Tsugaru let's talk! :) 22:40, 25 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Definition of 100 edits and logged actions[change source]

A quick one, per the RFDA, why not we just change the policy to state explicitly 100 edits the "edits" aren't automated / semi-automated or bot like. I think this might be relevant via a policy change but well we can go to RFDA route too and then nothing needs to be changed. Ideas? Camouflaged Mirage (talk) 09:40, 16 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Personally, I'd prefer we keep it as simple as possible. I am not opposed to "automated" or "semi-automated" edits. "Nuking" all editsd (or the bigger part of them) of a proplem user is very useful, yet it problably counts as "semi-automatic". Also, note: if we change the policy, that'd be for the future. We can't reasonably change the policy and make it apply to the past. And if we are talking running a bot, or something like a script: that likely shouldn't be done with an admin account. Eptalon (talk) 23:05, 17 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Question about Cat-a-lot preferences[change source]

Is there a method to change the edit speed of Cat-a-lot ? When I was using this at JAWP, one user asked me to do so n order to avoid floods in the "New changes" page. MathXplore (talk) 15:27, 16 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Template import[change source]

Can someone please import a copy of {{Cite q}}? I was fixing Arjuna and noticed it uses that template. Nunabas (talk) 19:27, 17 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Yeah I can get it for you. -Djsasso (talk) 20:10, 17 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Error on Template:Main[change source]

The template{Main|Article title}does not seem to work and results in this showing:

It seems to be a script error and I do not know how to fix it. Any help will be appreciated.--NadirAli (talk) 20:41, 17 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

I will look and fix it. -Djsasso (talk) 20:42, 17 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Talk to the Community Tech[change source]

Community Wishlist Survey Lamp.svg


We, the team working on the Community Wishlist Survey, would like to invite you to an online meeting with us. It will take place on 19 January (Wednesday), 18:00 UTC on Zoom, and will last an hour. This external system is not subject to the WMF Privacy Policy. Click here to join.


  • Bring drafts of your proposals and talk to to a member of the Community Tech Team about your questions on how to improve the proposal


The meeting will not be recorded or streamed. Notes without attribution will be taken and published on Meta-Wiki. The presentation (all points in the agenda except for the questions and answers) will be given in English.

We can answer questions asked in English, French, Polish, Spanish, and German. If you would like to ask questions in advance, add them on the Community Wishlist Survey talk page or send to

Natalia Rodriguez (the Community Tech manager) will be hosting this meeting.

Invitation link

We hope to see you! SGrabarczuk (WMF) (talk) 00:21, 18 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Subscribe to the This Month in Education newsletter - learn from others and share your stories[change source]

Dear community members,

Greetings from the EWOC Newsletter team and the education team at Wikimedia Foundation. We are very excited to share that we on tenth years of Education Newsletter (This Month in Education) invite you to join us by subscribing to the newsletter on your talk page or by sharing your activities in the upcoming newsletters. The Wikimedia Education newsletter is a monthly newsletter that collects articles written by community members using Wikimedia projects in education around the world, and it is published by the EWOC Newsletter team in collaboration with the Education team. These stories can bring you new ideas to try, valuable insights about the success and challenges of our community members in running education programs in their context.

If your affiliate/language project is developing its own education initiatives, please remember to take advantage of this newsletter to publish your stories with the wider movement that shares your passion for education. You can submit newsletter articles in your own language or submit bilingual articles for the education newsletter. For the month of January the deadline to submit articles is on the 20th January. We look forward to reading your stories.

Older versions of this newsletter can be found in the complete archive.

More information about the newsletter can be found at Education/Newsletter/About.

For more information, please contact spatnaik﹫

About This Month in Education · Subscribe/Unsubscribe · Global message delivery · For the team: ZI Jony (Talk), Friday 20:50, 28 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Deadminship[change source]

Deadmanship. Exactly. You read that wrong at least once too. While Request for Deadminship doesn't happen very often here, the name is, at best, unfortunate. I'm writing to the Simple English community today to present two proposals that are related.

Proposal #1 Obtain community consent to rename the request to Request for Removal of Admin. Another possibility is Request for Admin Discharge as "discharge" is on the BE 1500 list. Or something else entirely as decided by the community.
Proposal #2 If a new title is selected in Proposal #1, should existing Requests for Deadminship be moved to the new title?

Thank you all who participate and, please remember, this is an open discussion. There are no wrong answers. Operator873 connect 05:34, 20 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Hi everyone, seeing as there seems to be a reasonable amount of support for just adding a hyphen in deadminship to make de-adminship, I have added a proposal 3 section below to see who wants this. Proposal 3 would be to rename the request to Requests for de-adminship (just adding the hyphen) Thank you --Ferien (talk) 22:05, 25 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Proposal 1[change source]

  • Support Given what happened with Loftyabyss, giving the process a less emotionally loaded name might take some of the sting out. Darkfrog24 (talk) 14:56, 20 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
  • Support Rules of here must also be simple English. MathXplore (talk) 14:59, 20 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
  • Support sounds good to me. I'd prefer "...removal of adminship", to match "Requests for adminship", but either is good. Also adding a hyphen is something I'm fine with. Basically anything other than the status quo, haha. Best, Vermont (talk) 19:42, 20 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
  • Support --Tsugaru let's talk! :) 22:00, 23 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
  • Support per above. --SHB2000 (talk) 07:41, 24 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Proposal 2[change source]

Proposal 3[change source]

  • Support using hyphen in de-adminship, like en. --Ferien (talk) 22:05, 25 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
  • Support following en with the hyphen seems like the most simple option.--Gordonrox24 | Talk 23:26, 25 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
  • Support Much better to follow enwiki on this one since we should be trying to mirror where possible and appropriate. Operator873 connect 03:16, 26 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
  • Support - simple and clear. Griff (talk) 10:54, 26 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Comments[change source]

For what it's worth, enwiki calls it en:Wikipedia:Requests for de-adminship, adding a hyphen after the prefix. -- Auntof6 (talk) 05:40, 20 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
That's a good possibility as well. Operator873 connect 05:42, 20 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Yeah I would probably just match in this case and renaming the pages makes sense and isn't that hard, there aren't too many of them. Discharge while on the simple list I think is a bit ambiguous as to what it would mean in that instance. -Djsasso (talk) 12:49, 20 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Auntof6 However, this is not enwiki but simplewiki. SoyokoAnis - talk 15:11, 24 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
We do however, take many things like this from enwiki. -Djsasso (talk) 17:14, 24 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Djsasso Very true. SoyokoAnis - talk 18:27, 24 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@SoyokoAnis: I'm very aware of that. I'm one of the people who often points that out to others. There are times where there is a good reason to match things here to enwiki (such as article names), and when that's the case I usually say why I think we should match. Here, though, I mentioned it only because it's a viable solution to the issue. -- Auntof6 (talk) 18:45, 24 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Follow en.wp standard - simple and clear. Griff (talk) 12:53, 20 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
  • Yes, I like the hyphen. Macdonald-ross (talk) 15:11, 20 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
  • Deadminship tends to come accross too easily as dead man ship... Either dash/en dash it or something like "Request for removal of Admin rights" as you arent actually removing the admin themself, just their rights as admin (Im a former admin/crat/CU -my decision to give them up- .. former right holder but still a user. Only my rights were removed.) --Creol(talk) 20:25, 21 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Yes, "Deadmanship" feels like one of those early-days turns of phrase that probably sounded cute and funny at the time, like an in joke. It's had its day. Darkfrog24 (talk) 14:04, 25 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Movement Strategy and Governance News – Issue 5[change source]

Movement Strategy and Governance News
Issue 5, January 2022Read the full newsletter

Welcome to the fifth issue of Movement Strategy and Governance News (formerly known as Universal Code of Conduct News)! This revamped newsletter distributes relevant news and events about the Movement Charter, Universal Code of Conduct, Movement Strategy Implementation grants, Board elections and other relevant MSG topics.

This Newsletter will be distributed quarterly, while more frequent Updates will also be delivered weekly or bi-weekly to subscribers. Please remember to subscribe here if you would like to receive these updates.

  • Call for Feedback about the Board elections - We invite you to give your feedback on the upcoming WMF Board of Trustees election. This call for feedback went live on 10th January 2022 and will be concluded on 7th February 2022. (continue reading)
  • Universal Code of Conduct Ratification - In 2021, the WMF asked communities about how to enforce the Universal Code of Conduct policy text. The revised draft of the enforcement guidelines should be ready for community vote in March. (continue reading)
  • Movement Strategy Implementation Grants - As we continue to review several interesting proposals, we encourage and welcome more proposals and ideas that target a specific initiative from the Movement Strategy recommendations. (continue reading)
  • The New Direction for the Newsletter - As the UCoC Newsletter transitions into MSG Newsletter, join the facilitation team in envisioning and deciding on the new directions for this newsletter. (continue reading)
  • Diff Blogs - Check out the most recent publications about MSG on Wikimedia Diff. (continue reading)

Zuz (WMF) (talk) 08:26, 20 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

heh? Derpdart56 (talk) 17:16, 24 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Errors apparently from Template:Estcatbycountry[change source]

There are a couple of issues that appear to be caused by Template:Estcatbycountry and/or its subpage.

Issue #1: Look in Category:Establishments by year and country, and you'll see that some of the subcategories show a negative number of pages. That number should never be negative. Click on one of the subcategories, for example Category:1986 establishments by country, and you'll see that there are only categories there, no pages or files.

Issue #2: In categories using this template, for example Category:1986 establishments by country again, you can see that the navigation line showing years is there twice. It should only be there once. (By the way, this issue is also appearing with pages that use Template:Estcatbycontinent.)

I could probably dig into this and figure it out, but I'm sure some of you could do it faster and better, so does anyone want to look at it? Thanks. --Auntof6 (talk) 02:33, 22 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Issue 1 may be a MediaWiki bug or an issue in the object cache and/or job queue. There were also some subcategories with negative page counts, but they subsequently updated themselves to the correct value after navigating to the subcategory's own page. Perhaps the act of navigating to the page "forces" a recalculation?
For issue 2, I have performed the fix here - the template was incorrectly calling Navseasoncats twice, once for years (only), and once for decades (only). The present module no longer requires two calls. This was probably a legacy issue from the pre-Lua era.
There is one remaining issue where the alignment of the navboxes is slightly displaced to the left of the screen. This is related to the avoidself logic in lines 52 and lines 368-375 of Module:Navseasoncats, which adds the following CSS property: max-width: calc(100% - 25em). Our page titles seem to be incorrectly triggering the avoidself logic - I haven't figured out this one yet. Chenzw  Talk  06:04, 22 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Chenzw: Thanks! -- Auntof6 (talk) 07:28, 22 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Football[change source]

Is sitting on the bench the whole match also an appearance for the player?--Werner100359 (talk) 06:56, 22 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

@Werner100359 I'm not fully sure, but you should probably get the best image of the player for the appearance. SoyokoAnis - talk 15:08, 24 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
On you are only considered to have played if you actually got on a field. I assume you are asking to see if someone meets en:WP:NFOOTBALL-Djsasso (talk) 18:25, 24 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Certification Table Entry usages[change source]

(reference example = Good Girl Gone Bad)

There are a ton of categories being added to articles by template in the "Certification Table Entry usages for <country>" format. No clue what or why - no real care either. Problem is they are hiding away the more useful categories (ie. who's album, when, genre, etc). Not going to go into removing them in general as there likely is a reason for it all, but couldnt these added cats be tagged as hidden so as to not flood the page with info which is useless to most users? --Creol(talk) 08:24, 24 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Sounds OK to me, for these and the singlechart usages categories as well. They seem to be hidden on enwiki. --Auntof6 (talk) 08:43, 24 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
These are intended to be hidden, whomever created these particular ones just didn't do it I guess. -Djsasso (talk) 12:01, 24 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Desktop Improvements update and Office Hours invitation[change source]

Hello. I wanted to give you an update about the Desktop Improvements project, which the Wikimedia Foundation Web team has been working on for the past few years.

The goals of the project are to make the interface more welcoming and comfortable for readers and useful for advanced users. The project consists of a series of feature improvements which make it easier to read and learn, navigate within the page, search, switch between languages, use article tabs and the user menu, and more.

The improvements are already visible by default for readers and editors on 24 wikis, including Wikipedias in French, Portuguese, and Persian.

The changes apply to the Vector skin only. Monobook or Timeless users are not affected.

Features deployed since our last update[change source]

  • User menu - focused on making the navigation more intuitive by visually highlighting the structure of user links and their purpose.
  • Sticky header - focused on allowing access to important functionality (logging in/out, history, talk pages, etc.) without requiring people to scroll to the top of the page.

For a full list of the features the project includes, please visit our project page. We also invite you to our Updates page.

The features deployed already and the table of contents that's currently under development

How to enable the improvements[change source]

  • It is possible to opt-in individually in the appearance tab within the preferences by unchecking the "Use Legacy Vector" box. (It has to be empty.) Also, it is possible to opt-in on all wikis using the global preferences.
  • If you think this would be good as a default for all readers and editors of this wiki, feel free to start a conversation with the community and contact me.
  • On wikis where the changes are visible by default for all, logged-in users can always opt-out to the Legacy Vector. There is an easily accessible link in the sidebar of the new Vector.

Learn more and join our events[change source]

If you would like to follow the progress of our project, you can subscribe to our newsletter.

You can read the pages of the project, check our FAQ, write on the project talk page, and join an online meeting with us (27 January (Thursday), 15:00 UTC).

How to join our online meeting

Thank you!!

On behalf of the Wikimedia Foundation Web team, SGrabarczuk (WMF) (talk) 22:11, 24 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Why doesn't extended confirmed permissions exist here?[change source]

This is something I've wondered. kolva | chat? 16:07, 26 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

@Kolva — Extended confirmed permissions only exist on enwiki (see en:WP:XC). Per that section, it was stated that it was created by the Arbitration Committee to deal with community issues and other stuff. Hopefully this helps. — 3PPYB6TALKCHANGES — 16:15, 26 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@3PPYB6: I think extended confirmed also exists on jawiki. --Ferien (talk) 16:25, 26 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Yes, Ferien is right, actually I have extended confirmed permissions at there. MathXplore (talk) 09:39, 28 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
@Kolva: I'm not sure, but I think extended confirmed even on enwiki is relatively new and maybe adding extended confirmed here would just be another complex thing we don't need. --Ferien (talk) 16:25, 26 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Template double calls[change source]

Ive been working on clearing Category:Pages using duplicate arguments in template calls. Got it down from over 400 to 150 of so but seeing a snag. This is mostly wikignome work though Im fixing a ton of reference errors and updating infoboxes. The main issue im seeing is Chess articles. Im getting the warning "... is calling Template:Chess diagram small with more than one value for the "" parameter." but can't for the life of me figure out what is triggering it. Gambit is an example. Just open it up, change source and hit show preview and the error(s) is shown. {{Chess diagram small}} doesnt trigger in alone, just when somethings call it. And that part is not consistant. French defence (opening), Endgame (chess) and Alexei Shirov dont trigger it but Modern defence, Middlegame and Howard Staunton do.. And no clue what to do to clear them (and a host of others) from the list. Any help would be appreciated. Dont even need someone to do the changes, just point me to what I need to do and ill take care of them. --Creol(talk) 20:16, 26 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

I also came across this problem when I was doing that same work. A user worked on it a bit, found the problem, and fixed it in some articles, but I don't remember who it was. Maybe we could look at some of the non-affected chess articles and look for earlier fixes. I do remember that the solution was convoluted and required a lot of work on each affected article. -- Auntof6 (talk) 22:39, 26 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
So I fixed the error on Gambit, but the chessboard's pieces are now in different position, although they match enWP's. I'm not a chess expert, but based off my light reading, it looks like enWP's chessboard (and now our chessboard) is correct. @Creol: I'm not sure I have time to fix them all, but if I have time later today, I'll work on it. My sandbox has the correct parameters. Let me know if you have any questions. Griff (talk) 19:34, 28 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Copy pasting speeches to Swami Vivekananda‎[change source]

There is an editor who wants to copy paste whole speeches to this page. The editor claims it is not copyrighted, but I do not agree to this claim and the necessity to add a super long speech text to here. The speech texts matches to this website. I would like to ask others if this edit is OK or not. MathXplore (talk) 09:38, 28 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

@MathXplore: I don't think that speeches are copyrighted, if that speech was copyrighted it would already be in the public domain by now, but I do think it's a little lengthy for a simple wiki article. DingoTalk 15:37, 28 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]
Thank you, looks like we must think how to minimize the speech. MathXplore (talk) 15:43, 28 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

Uber Eats[change source]

Uber Eats doesn't have any obvious paid editing in it, so why is it on there? Derpdart56 (talk) 16:26, 28 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]

@Derpdart56: - They were copied over from the enWP article by the author of the article on here, which doesn't make much sense, as the issues present in the enWP don't necessarily apply here. I have removed them. Thanks for bringing it up! -Griff (talk) 19:10, 28 January 2022 (UTC)[reply]