|Main Page talk|
|This is the Main Page talk page. Be sure to keep on topic, and sign your posts with (~~~~). Please apply major changes to Main Page/Sandbox and make sure people agree with them, before applying them to the Main Page. You might also find an answer on Wikipedia:Useful, a listing of helpful pages.
Please remember that this page is not the place to put articles that you are working on, or anything else that it not related to the Main Page. If you would like to work on articles, please use the sandbox.
|Daily article pageviews|
|This is not a forum for general discussion of Main Page. Any such messages will be deleted. Please limit discussion to improvement of this article.|
I need a ASAP Correct answer to a very simple question about Wikipedia PLEASE- How can I do this.......in Wikipedia? PLEASE EMAIL ME ASAP AY HEART RATES ARE RISING BY THE MINUTE!![change source]
Hello from Cyprus to everyone - everywhere!! I’m Pari and this is my first attempt with Wikipedia as an author for a subject I’ve been researching for years now! I decided to share my research with the world so I want to publish it WHEN IS 100% FINISHED/EDITED but.....
I have just created an account and I began the transferring from my real writing on a paper, by Typing from the beginning everything a I have on my Real Paper written Research. I’m still on the 1st page. And this is my exact problem!! What I am writing is not even close to Finishing inside Wikipedia or in any other Application for writers like for example Microsoft WORD or so so many other Apps that exist out there!
Therefore since it is NOT EITHER CLIAE TO BEING READY FOR PUBLISHING IN WIKIPEDIA ( or anywhere else for that matter ), HOW CAN I JUST SAVE WHAT I DID SO FAR?? The only thing I see is a Blue Button saying PUBLISH and I can’t see anything or anywhere like a SAVE Button!! First of all, is there a SAVE Button or I have no choice other than to PUBLISH for the eyes of everyone, of what I wrote so far in the 1st Unfinished Page of my Subject??
Maybe it is supposed to be like this? Is Wikipedia an Application that has NOTHING SIMILAR TO DO WITH Microsoft WORD?? Is Wikipedia an Application that you simply POST ANYTHING THAT IS READY TO BE READ BY OTHERS? So my question is very simple and I am sure that someone from all of you will know the answer.
HOW CAN I JUST SAVE AS A FILE IN WIKIPEDIA, SOMETHING THAT I HAVE WRITTEN BUT IS BY NO CHANCE EVEN CLOSE TO PUBLISHING YET?
SINCE IT NEEDS A LOT OF WRITING AND EDITING before I can officially Publish it, WHAT CAN I DO FROM NOW ON - SINCE I VE HIT THE PUBLISH BUTTON THINKING THAT IT WOULD ASK ME IF I REALLY WAS READY TO PUBLISH OR IF I JUST WANTED TO SAVE MY FILE FOR NOW??? Does any of you kind people know how to proceed WITHIN the Wikipedia.org ( meaning not having to copy EVERYTHING I HAVE WRITTEN SO FAR and Finish it by importing my words into another Writing Application like for example Microsoft WORD or so so many others that exist out there! Is that possible first of all? Can I “PAUSE MY WRITING” in Wikipedia “BUT WITHOUT HAVING IT PUBLISHED AND CONTINUE WERE I LEFT THE NEXT DAY AND THEM CONTINUE AGAIN AFTER A WEEK OR SO BUT WITHOUT PUBLISHING IT UNTIL ITS FINISHED???
I’m not well familiar with Wikipedia so I would so much be obliged to the person who will solve this for me, if they emailed me at (Redacted)
Thank you so much in advance My best regards and love from Nicosia / CYPRUS
P.S. Forgive me for a very long email but it seems that from my stress I probably written the same questions more times than one!! I am very sorry! PLEASE EMAIL ME HERE: (Redacted) Pari Mele (talk) 20:26, 22 December 2019 (UTC)
- Pari Mele we don’t publish research papers here. There are websites specifically for that. Wikipedia is an encyclopedia. You can use Wikiversity to publish learning materials. Thank you! Nigos (talk · contribs) 05:09, 23 December 2019 (UTC)
- @Pari Mele: I agree with Nigos' comment above. Wikipedia is not a blog. And your user page is not a "journal". It is simply a place to briefly tell us a little about yourself (which you did at the end of it). Original research is not allowed. You are in the wrong place. Tradedia (talk) 19:45, 27 December 2019 (UTC)
- Folks, while you were fully correct I think you were not nice to this new user. IMO you could have said something like:
- <a few welcoming words, then:> We're happy you have found Wikipedia and would like to help you find the right place for what you want to do. Wikipedia is an encyclopedia. <briefly explain> This means that it is different from a site where you can publish. <... all the other good factual advice from what you wrote.>
- Cheers, 22.214.171.124 (talk) 14:59, 22 May 2020 (UTC)
- Folks, while you were fully correct I think you were not nice to this new user. IMO you could have said something like:
Something is wrong with the main page today[change source]
The article-of-the-day is broken. It's showing as blank with a red link "Main Page/Article 9" under "Selected article". The whole section is blank apart from that and the COVID-19 banner. I guess this needs fixing! GPinkerton (talk) 18:32, 26 June 2021 (UTC)
- GPinkerton, I see a, red link to "Main Page/Article 10". ~ Hulged (talk) 06:15, 27 June 2021 (UTC)
- Same per Hulged. --TDKR Chicago 101 (talk) 09:29, 27 June 2021 (UTC)
- Yeah when Eptalon demoted the article he forgot to move the highest numbered article to the gap. It has been fixed now for all the ones that were demoted. -Djsasso (talk) 13:45, 29 June 2021 (UTC)
Inaccurate information on main page[change source]
I've found some inaccurate information on the main page as well as on the portals. It says Biology (Plants and Animals) though on the English (the main) wiki, it is described differently. Also, we all know that Biology isn't only plants and animals. I would have edited it but... admins only I guess.— Preceding unsigned comment added by Elytrian (talk • contribs) 06:57, 6 July 2021 (UTC)
I found that the Biology portal on the main page is labeled (Plants and animals). If you know anything beyond a basic education's worth of knowledge, this is kinda inaccurate. I'd like some admins to change this to '(Living things)' or something more appropriate. Elytrian (talk) 07:01, 6 July 2021 (UTC)
- It's not really inaccurate, it is just not as detailed as you would like because we are Simple Wikipedia. Once a reader clicks on the link they are taken to a page that will explain it in more detail. -Djsasso (talk) 20:06, 6 July 2021 (UTC)
- Djsasso It is really inaccurate; biology is not limited to plants and animals. "Living things" would really be much better. There is a difference between simplifying and obfuscating. GPinkerton (talk) 10:51, 22 July 2021 (UTC)
- Our main page Biology says: "Biology is the science that studies life, and living things, and the evolution of life. Living things include animals, plants, fungi (such as mushrooms), and microorganisms such as bacteria and archaea.". How is that wrong? Macdonald-ross (talk) 08:41, 22 October 2021 (UTC)
Request for addition of name for religion[change source]
- @Haoreima: I think we have enough religions listed there; it isn't meant to be a list of all religions. If you look at List of religions, you'll see there are many others that aren't listed. --Auntof6 (talk) 17:50, 18 July 2021 (UTC)
- Please don't say it as a version of Hinduism, if you don't know well about that particular religion. It will make it look like an insult or disrespect to that particular faith. Please don't give comments in the topics you don't know about. Every religion in Indian subcontinent aren't Hinduism. Just only comment on the reason to decline the topic's inclusion in the mainpage of wikipedia. Thanks! May God bless you! Haoreima (talk) 12:45, 11 December 2021 (UTC)
Featured article?[change source]
- Same here!— Preceding unsigned comment added by Thegameshowlad (talk • contribs) 14:32, 2 August 2021 (UTC)
Buddhism Preview Penis Image[change source]
Hovering over the Buddhism link has an image of a penis for the preview that's not in the page, don't know how to remove it, would someone who does please do so?— Preceding unsigned comment added by 126.96.36.199 (talk • contribs) 02:13, 26 August 2021 (UTC)
- I will try and fix this, however in the future, please direct all non-main page related enquires to Simple Talk --Tsugaru Let's Talk! :) 🍁 02:43, 26 August 2021 (UTC)
In the main page header there is a link called ‘categories’ which links to Special:CategoryTree/Project. However, this ‘project’ category does not exist. I wonder if it is supposed to be the category ‘Contents’ so could an admin change the link to Special:CategoryTree/Contents. Thanks, DigitalChutney (talk) 16:25, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
- No that is the correct link, its meant to link you to the search for category trees. If you enter in a category it will give you the tree for that category. But the project part of the link is unnecessary to do that, its just filler. I have removed it to make it function better. -Djsasso (talk) 18:43, 17 January 2022 (UTC)
The Cebuano Wikipedia probably doesn't have 5m articles[change source]
Under the other languages section, it lists Cebuano as having at least 5,000,000 articles, along with only English. This doesn't seem accurate, as if you visit the standard English Wikipedia, it doesn't list Cebuano in the 1,000,000+ articles section. FamiliarFlareon (talk) 06:19, 29 March 2022 (UTC)
- @FamiliarFlareon perhaps the list in standard English is incorrect, as the statistics from meta and Cebuano Wikipedia itself puts the wiki at 6,000,000+ articles. -- *Fehufangą ♮ ✉ Talk page 06:27, 29 March 2022 (UTC)
Imange Talabana[change source]
Get it right!![change source]
Hello!In the article Pas-de-Calais,I will create a list of the commune of the département but I can’t know if you have to put it on article Pas-de-Calais or a create a new article on the municipalities…TYURZ!Chat with a French contributer? 14:27, 4 June 2022 (UTC)
- If you get three articles, you can create a category. What about "Category: Communes of Pas de Calais"? - Don't hesitate to do anything, as it is easy to correct. (In French:) Si tu trouves trois articles convénables, tu peux créers unce catégorie, ce qui est plus facile. Tu peux mettre la liste dans cette catéogrie également. Eptalon (talk) 17:01, 4 June 2022 (UTC)
Something is wrong.[change source]
Whenever I go to simple english wikipedia then I see the selected article, BILLY GRAHAM, but the problem is it has literally been the selected article for 4 days already. I have counted. 188.8.131.52 (talk) 09:03, 19 June 2022 (UTC)
- Featured article still changes for me, it's currently Lawrence, Kansas. Try clearing your cache with CTRL + F5 when opening the main page. — *Fehufangą ♮ ✉ Talk page 10:56, 20 June 2022 (UTC)
- Same with the current one but I will follow your advice and try it. 184.108.40.206 (talk) 07:25, 22 June 2022 (UTC)
- You were right, thanks! 220.127.116.11 (talk) 07:25, 22 June 2022 (UTC)
- Hey again, yesterday the featured article was a baseball shirt , but it is still today i used ctrl + F5 but it did not work.
- Could you try fixing this please?
- 18.104.22.168 (talk) 07:35, 1 July 2022 (UTC)
- It still changes for me. The current featured article is Hurricane Vince. Given the code that it's supposed to run (that is, current day of the year mod the number of featured articles), Hurricane Vince is indeed the correct article. It might be a browser problem on your end. — *Fehufangą ♮ ✉ Talk page 08:03, 1 July 2022 (UTC)
Alright, now I had enough[change source]
- To be fair, we don't have as many FAs/VGAs as enwiki (they have ~6000, we have only 27). Not many editors are actively improving pages to the point where they can be nominated as a FA/VGA, so we have no option but to rotate all 27 articles. — *Fehufangą ♮ ✉ Talk page 11:06, 28 June 2022 (UTC)
- This is a small community, there are currently 5 articles up for discussion ("good articles", they don't get featured) here, and there's one up for discussion ("very good articles") here. Anyone is welcome, so if you think you can help, please do. Eptalon (talk) 11:11, 28 June 2022 (UTC)