Bel Aire, Kansas
Bel Aire, Kansas
|• Total||6.86 sq mi (17.77 km2)|
|• Land||6.83 sq mi (17.69 km2)|
|• Water||0.03 sq mi (0.08 km2)|
|Elevation||1,394 ft (425 m)|
| • Estimate |
|• Density||990/sq mi (380/km2)|
|Time zone||UTC-6 (CST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-5 (CDT)|
History[change | change source]
Bel Aire was created in January 1955 when a group of local residents asked the county government to create it. They wanted this place to be an improvement district for water.
On November 26, 1980, Bel Aire officially incorporated as a city. This was after a two-year legal dispute with the Wichita city government. The dispute was about whether or not Pratt had the right to become its own city. The case went to the Kansas Supreme Court, and the Court ruled in Bel Aire's favor.
Geography[change | change source]
Bel Aire is at  It has an elevation of 1,394 feet (425 m). It is on the north side of the East Fork of Chisholm Creek. It is about 6 mi (9.7 km) northeast of the Arkansas River in the Wellington-McPherson Lowlands region of the Great Plains. It is on the south side of K-254 in south-central Kansas. Bel Aire is within the Wichita metropolitan area, bordered by Wichita to the south and west and bordered by Kechi to the north.(37.763758, −97.266177).
People[change | change source]
|U.S. Decennial Census|
Bel Aire is part of the Wichita, KS Metropolitan Statistical Area.
2010 census[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "US Gazetteer files 2010". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2012-01-25. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-07-06.
- "Population and Housing Unit Estimates". Retrieved June 9, 2017.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-09-11. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "City of Bel Aire - Our Community". City of Bel Aire. Archived from the original on 2010-10-06. Retrieved 2011-01-22.
- "2010 City Population and Housing Occupancy Status". U.S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on July 21, 2011. Retrieved March 6, 2011.
- "City of Bel Aire - Celebrating 30 Years". City of Bel Aire. Archived from the original on 2010-10-15. Retrieved 2013-03-06.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "General Highway Map - Sedgwick County, Kansas" (PDF). Kansas Department of Transportation. June 2009. Archived (PDF) from the original on 17 December 2010. Retrieved 2011-01-22.
- "2003-2004 Official Transportation Map" (PDF). Kansas Department of Transportation. 2003. Retrieved 2011-01-22.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Bel Aire, Kansas.|
- Bel Aire City Map, KDOT