Eurovision Song Contest 2017
The Eurovision Song Contest 2017 (shortly ESC) was the 62nd edition of the Eurovision Song Contest. It took place in the International Exhibition Centre in Kiev, Ukraine, after Jamala won for Ukraine in 2016 in Stockholm, Sweden with her song "1944".
Ukraine hosted the contest for the second time after 2005. The competition was held from 9th to the 13th; the first semifinal was on Tuesday, May 9, the second semifinal on Thursday, May 11 and the grand final was on Saturday, May 13.
Venue[change | change source]
The contest happened in the International Exhibition Centre in Kiev. The venue holds 13,000 people and the venue will be rebuilt for the contest.
The ESC 2005, which was also held in Kiev, took place in the Palace Of Sports. This was also a possible venue for 2017, but might not fulfill today's demands.
However, the venue must have a maximum capacity of 10,000. The venue also has to be covered and an international press centre has to be in reach. Also it must have a capacity for 1,550 journalists.
The following cities applied for being a host city:
Countries that will not participate/return/debut in 2017[change | change source]
- Bosnia and Herzegovina: The Bosnian television agency BHRT announced that they are in current financial difficulties, so financing for the ESC is not possible. Bosnia returned in 2016 by getting the money of sponsors.
- Kazakhstan: The country of Kazakhstan became an associate-member of the EBU in the beginning of 2016. Later on they said that it could be possible that Kazakhstan would participate for the first time. On the 31th of October, the date on which the list of countries taking part in 2017 was published by the EBU, Kazakhstan wasn´t named as a participating country. A reason why they did not debut was not announced.
- Luxembourg: The country of Luxembourg announced that they would not return to the contest. Luxembourg last participated in 1993. Of all the countries which have taken part in the competition, Luxembourg have not participated for the longest time.
- Turkey: The Turkish television TRT said that they will not be participating in 2017. They said that there are not satisfied about the voting system and the rules with the "Big-5". Turkey have not participated in the competition since 2013.
- Slovakia: The Slovakian television RTVS also said that they will not return in 2017. A real reason wasn´t mentioned. Slovakia last participated in 2012.
Returning artists[change | change source]
Some artists participated in the contest before and will represent their country again or as a another role:
|Country||Artist||Participated before in...|
|Israel||Imri Ziv||2015, 2016 (as a backing vocalist)|
|Serbia||Tijana Bogićević||2011 (as a backing vocalist)|
Semi-Final[change | change source]
First Semi-Final[change | change source]
The first semi final will take place on Tuesday, the 9th of May 2017. 18 countries will compete, the 10 countries with the most votes of them will qualify for the final.
The running order will be decided and announced when all the countries have selected their entry.
Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom will vote in this semi-final.
|First Half (1-9)|
|03||Australia||Isaiah Firebrace||"Don´t Come Easy"||English|
|02||Georgia||Tako||"Keep The Faith"||English|
|09||Portugal||Salvador Sobral||"Amar pelos dois"||Portuguese||To love by the two|
|01||Sweden||Robin Bengtsson||"I Can´t Go On"||English|
|Second Half (10-18)|
|16||Armenia||Artsvik||"Fly With Me"||English|
|14||Czech Republic||Martina Bárta||"My Turn"||English|
|10||Greece||Demy||"This Is Love"||English|
|12||Moldova||SunStroke Project||"Hey Mamma"||English|
|17||Slovenia||Omar Naber||"On My Way"||English|
Second Semi-Final[change | change source]
The second semi-final will take place on Thursday, the 11th of May 2017. 19 countries will compete, the 10 countries with the most votes of them will qualify for the final.
The running order will be decided and announced when all the countries have selected their entry. After a request of the Swiss TV-broadcaster SRF, Switzerland was directly determined to participate and vote in Semi-Final 2.
France, Germany and Ukraine will vote in this semi-final.
|First Half (1-10)|
|02||Austria||Nathan Trent||"Walking On Air"||English|
|08||Denmark||Anja Nissen||"Where I Am"||English|
|07||Hungary||Joci Pápai||"Origo"||Hungarian, Romani||Origin|
|09||Ireland||Brendan Murray||"Dying To Try"||English|
|06||Netherlands||OG3NE||"Lights And Shadows"||English|
|03||Macedonia||Jana Burčeska||"Dance Alone"||English|
|05||Romania||Ilinca feat. Alex Florea||"Yodel It!"||English|
|01||Serbia||Tijana Bogićević||"In Too Deep"||English|
|Second Half (10-19)|
|14||Belarus||NAVI||"Historyja majho žyccia"||Belarussian||Story of my life|
|15||Bulgaria||Kristian Kostov||"Beautiful Mess"||English|
|11||Croatia||Jacques Houdek||"My Friend"||English, Italian|
|17||Estonia||Koit Toome & Laura||"Verona"||English|
|18||Israel||Imri Ziv||"I Feel Alive"||English|
|16||Lithuania||Fusedmarc||"Rain Of Revoltuion"||English|
|12||Norway||JOWST feat. Aleksander Walmann||"Grab The Moment"||English|
|10||San Marino||Valentina Monetta & Jimmie Wilson||"Spirit Of The Night"||English|
Big-Five (including host country Ukraine)[change | change source]
These five countries are directly qualified for the final. Ukraine, as the host country, will also be performing directly in the Grand Final.
|Italy||Francesco Gabbani||"Occidentali´s Karma"||Italian|
|Spain||Manel Navarro||"Do It For Your Lover"||English, Spanish|
|United Kingdom||Lucie Jones||"Never Give Up On You"||English|
Detailed list of participating countries[change | change source]
|Country and broadcaster||Artist||Song||Lyrics and composer||Language||Translation||Selection|
|Albania (RTSH)||Lindita Halimi||"World"||Klodian Qafoku, Gerald Xhari||English||National final|
|Armenia (ARMTV)||Artsvik Harutyunyan||"Fly With Me"||English|
|Australia (SBS)||Isaiah Firebrace||"Don´t Come Easy"||David Musumeci, Anthony Egizii||English||Internal selection|
|Austria (ORF)||Nathan Trent||"Running on Air"||Bernard Penzian, Nathan Trent||English|
|Belarus (BTRC)||NAVIBAND||"Histroyja majho zyccia"||Artem Lukjanenka||Belarussian||Story of my life||National final|
|Belgium (VRT)||Blanche||"City Lights"||English||Internal selection|
|Croatia (HRT)||Jacques Houdek||"My Friend"||Jacques Houdek, Tony Roberth Malm, Arjana Kunštek, Fabrizio Laucella||English|
|Cyprus (CyBC)||Hovig||"Gravity"||Thomas G:son, Hovig||English|
|Czech Republic (CT1)||Martina Bárta||"My Turn"||TBA||English|
|Denmark (DR)||Anja Nissen||"Where I Am"||Anja Nissen, Angel Tupai, Michael D’Arcy||English||National final|
|Estonia (ERR)||Koit Toome & Laura||"Verona"||Sven Löhmus||English|
|Finland (YLE)||Norma John||"Blackbird"||Lasse Piirainen, Leena Tirronen||English|
|France (France2) (Big-5-member)||Alma||"Requiem"||Nazim Khaled||French||-||Internal selection|
|Georgia (GBS)||Tako Gatschetschiladse||"Keep The Faith"||Tako Gatschetschiladse||English||National final|
|Germany (ARD) (Big-5-member)||Levina||"Perfect Life"||Lindy Robbins, Dave Bassett, Lindsey Ray||English|
|Greece (ERT)||Demy||"This Is Love"||Dimitris Kontopoulos, John Ballard, Romy Papadea||English|
|Hungary (MTVA)||Joci Pápai||"Origo"||József Pápai||Hungarian, Romani||Origin|
|Ireland (RTE)||Brendan Murray||English||Internal selection|
|Israel (IBA)||Imri Ziv||"I Feel Alive"||Dolev Ram, Penn Hazut||English||National final|
|Italy (RAI) (Big-5-member)||Francesco Gabbani||"Occidentali´s Karma"||Fabio Ilacqua, Francesco Gabbani, Luca Chiaravalli, Filippi Gabbani||Italian, English||-|
|Latvia (LTV)||Triana Park||"Line"||Agnese Rakovska, Kristaps Ērglis, Kristians Rakovskis||English|
|Malta (PBS)||Claudia Faniello||"Breathlessly"||Philip Vella, Sean Vella, Gerard James Borg||English|
|Moldova (TVM)||SunStroke Project||"Hey Mamma"||SunStroke Project, Alina Galetskaia||English|
|Montenegro (RTCG)||Slavko Kalezić||"Space"||Stefan Örn, Momčilo Zeković||English||Internal selection|
|Norway (NRK)||English||National final|
|Poland (TVP)||Kasia Mos||"Flashlight"||Kasia Moś, Pete Baringger, Rickard Bonde Truumeel||English|
|Portugal (RTP)||Salvador Sobral||"Amar Pelos Dois"||Luísa Sobral||Portuguese||To Love By The Two|
|North Macedonia (MRT)||Jana Burčeska||English||Internal selection|
|Romania (TVR)||Ilinca feat. Alex Florea||"Yodel It!"||Mihai Alexandru, Alexandra Niculae||English||National final|
|Russia (Russia1)||TBA||TBA||TBA||Internal selection|
|San Marino (SMRTV)||TBA||TBA||TBA||TBA|
|Serbia (RTS)||Tijana Bogićević||"In Too Deep"||Borislav Milanov, Bo Persson, Johan Alkenas, Lisa Ann-Marie Linder|
|Slovenia (RTVSLO)||Omar Naber||"On My Way"||Omar Naber||English||National final|
|Spain (TVE) (Big-5-member)||Manel Navarro||"Do It For Your Lover"||Manel Navarro||English, Spanish|
|Switzerland (SRF)||Timebelle||"Apollo"||Elias Näslin, Nicolas Günthardt, Alessandra Günthardt||English|
|Ukraine (NTU) (Host country)||O.Torwald||"Time"||Jewhen Halytsch, Denys Misjuk, Mykola Rajda, Oleksandr Solocha||English|
|United Kingdom (BBC) (Big-5-member)||Lucie Jones||"Never Give Up On You"||The Treatment, Emmelie de Forest, Lawrie Martin||English|
An internal selection of the national TV-station is a secret selection without a national final, where the pupilarity is able to vote.
Other[change | change source]
- The Head of the Ukrainian national broadcaster NTU, Zurab Alasania, has withdrawn in protest to the Government’s budget for the broadcaster in 2017. For 2017, the Ukrainian Government has provided €42.8 million, of which more than €16 million will be spent on Eurovision. That leaves the broadcaster with just €7 million Euros, which is clearly too low money for other projects in the future, according to Zurab.
- For the first time ever, Russia got drawn in the second semi-final. Russia always participated in the first semi-final since the introduction of semi-finals.
- Belarus will be represented by a song in Belarussian language for the first time.
- Christer Björkmann, a Swedish TV-producer for the national final Melodifestivalen and show producer of the Eurovision Song Contest 2013 and 2016, will join the Ukrainian producing team.
- For the first time ever, there will be only men who will host the contest.