John F. Kelly
John Francis Kelly (born May 11, 1950) is a retired United States Marine Corps general. He is the 28th and current White House Chief of Staff since July 31, 2017. Kelly was the 5th and current United States Secretary of Homeland Security serving from January through July 2017.
He is the former commander of United States Southern Command (USSOUTHCOM). Kelly last served as the commanding general of the Multi-National Force—West in Iraq from February 2008 to February 2009, and as the commander of Marine Forces Reserve and Marine Forces North in October 2009.
Early life[change | change source]
United States Secretary of Homeland Security (2017)[change | change source]
White House Chief of Staff (since 2017)[change | change source]
Personal life[change | change source]
Kelly is married to Karen Hernest. They have three children.
In 2010, Kelly’s 29-year-old son, First Lieutenant Robert Kelly, was killed in action when he stepped on a landmine while leading a platoon of Marines on a patrol in Sangin, Afghanistan. Robert Kelly's death made John Kelly the highest-ranking military officer to lose a son or daughter in Iraq or Afghanistan.
References[change | change source]
- Peterson-Withorn, Chase (December 22, 2016). "Here's What Each Member Of Trump's $4.5 Billion Cabinet Is Worth". Forbes.
- Baker, Peter; Haberman, Maggie. "Reince Priebus Pushed Out After Rocky Tenure as Trump Chief of Staff" (HTML). New York Times.
- "Nominations before the Senate Armed Services Committee, Second Session, 112th Congress" (PDF). Government Printing Office. Retrieved December 13, 2016.
- Keenan, Sergeant Eric (January 14, 2016). "Gen. John F. Kelly reflects on 45 years of service". Defense Media Activity. U.S. Marine Corps. Retrieved December 13, 2016.
- "Donald Trump picks Gen. John Kelly for Department of Homeland Security secretary". CBS News. 7 December 2016. Retrieved 7 December 2016.
- "Senate vote on John F. Kelly nomination". Senate official website. January 20, 2017. Retrieved January 22, 2017.
- Landler, Mark; Habberman, Maggie (December 7, 2016). "Donald Trump Picks John Kelly, Retired General, to Lead Homeland Security". New York Times. Retrieved January 4, 2017.
Other websites[change | change source]
- "Multi-National Force–West website". Retrieved November 27, 2008.
- Noel, Kristen (October 12, 2008). "U.S. Presence Still Needed for Stability in Anbar Province, General Says". News Articles. Armed Forces Press Service, U.S. Department of Defense. Retrieved November 27, 2008.