Republic of Angola
República de Angola (Portuguese)
Anthem: "Angola Avante"
(English: "Onwards Angola")
and largest city
|Ethnic groups |
21% Other African
2% Mestiço (mixed European and African)
|Government||Unitary dominant-party presidential constitutional republic|
|Bornito de Sousa|
|11 November 1975|
|22 November 1976|
|21 January 2010|
|1,246,700 km2 (481,400 sq mi) (22nd)|
• Water (%)
• 2020 estimate
• 2014 census
|24.97/km2 (64.7/sq mi) (157th)|
|GDP (PPP)||2019 estimate|
|$208.034 billion (64th)|
• Per capita
|GDP (nominal)||2019 estimate|
|$124.600 billion (61st)|
• Per capita
|HDI (2019)|| 0.581|
medium · 148th
|Time zone||UTC+1 (WAT)|
|ISO 3166 code||AO|
Angola, (//), officially the Republic of Angola, is a country in southern Africa bordered by Namibia on the south, the Democratic Republic of the Congo on the north, and Zambia on the east; its west coast is on the Atlantic Ocean with Luanda as its capital city.
Angola is a member state of the African Union, the Community of Portuguese Language Countries, the Latin Union, South Atlantic Peace and Cooperation Zone and the Southern African Development Community.
History[change | change source]
Portugal built up its power in Angola from the late 15th to the middle 20th century.
After independence there was a civil war from 1975 to 2002. Cuba and the Soviet Bloc supported the ruling People's Movement for the Liberation of Angola (MPLA). South Africa supported the insurgent anti-communist National Union for the Total Independence of Angola (UNITA). The war ended after the rebel leader was killed.
Geography[change | change source]
Angola is the world's twenty-third largest country. Angola is bordered by Namibia to the south, Zambia to the east, the Democratic Republic of the Congo to the north-east, and the South Atlantic Ocean to the west.
Climate[change | change source]
Angola's average temperature on the coast is 16 °C (61 °F) in the winter and 21 °C (70 °F) in the summer. It has two seasons; dry (May to October) and hot rainy (November to April).
Demographics[change | change source]
Angola had a population of 25,789,024 in 2014.
Provinces[change | change source]
Angola is divided into eighteen provinces.
See List of settlements in Angola for the cities and towns in the country.
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "Angola". Association of Religion Data Archives. 2015. Retrieved 18 May 2020.
- "Início". www.ine.gov.ao. Archived from the original on 2020-03-19. Retrieved 2020-04-18.
- Resultados Definitivos do Recenseamento Geral da População e da Habitação de Angola 2014 [Final Results of the General Census of Population and Housing of Angola 2014] (PDF) (in Portuguese), Instituto Nacional de Estatística, March 2016, archived from the original (PDF) on 6 May 2016
- "Report for Selected Countries and Subjects: Angola". International Monetary Fund.
- "GINI index (World Bank estimate) - Angola". data.worldbank.org. World Bank. Retrieved 22 March 2020.
- "Human Development Report 2020" (PDF). United Nations Development Programme. December 15, 2020. Retrieved December 15, 2020.
- "Resultados Definitivos Recenseamento Geral da População e Habitação - 2014" (PDF). Instituto Nacional de Estatística, República de Angola. Retrieved 3 May 2020.