In these movies, robots are called "droids", taken from the English word android (meaning human-like), even though many of them do not have a very human appearance. There are also energy swords that are called "lightsabers"; they can cut almost anything.
Settings[change | edit source]
'The Force'[change | edit source]
The Force is a magic-like power, and in ways it is like a religion. It is a belief that there is a 'force' which is a part of everything within the galaxy. In the words of Obi-Wan Kenobi:
The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together.
People who can control the Force with their minds get a number of special powers, like telepathy, telekenesis (moving things with your mind), precognition (knowing about things before they happen), super speed, super reflexes, transportation, and super strength.
The Jedi and the Sith[change | edit source]
The Jedi are a group of beings who use the Force to bring peace and harmony to people, planets, and cultures. They are trained to use the force for good purposes. They are sworn enemies with another group called the Sith. Usually, they use green, blue, orange, yellow or purple lightsabers.
The Sith are a group of beings who use the force as a power source; they are trained to use the force to gain ultimate power. The Sith normally use the force to gain power in battles with their enemy who are the Jedi. They also use the force to bring destruction to the universe and anything in their way. They are the bad guys, and they usually use red lightsabers. The Sith are normally two persons,a master and an apprentice.
The Lightsaber[change | edit source]
The lightsaber is a weapon used by the Jedi and the Sith. It can be described simply as a light sword. These weapons are very special to a Jedi or Sith. They are custom built to special specifications by the Jedi or Sith. The Sith tend to take a Jedi's lightsaber as a prize if they win the battle. Many epic battles have been fought with lightsabers between the Jedi and the Sith.
Story[change | edit source]
Anakin Skywalker is a young boy who meets Obi-Wan Kenobi and learns the ways of the Jedi. Although Jedi are not allowed to get married, as an adult Anakin falls in love with Senator Padmé Amidala and they get married. Anakin later goes to the Dark Side and turns against Obi-Wan Kenobi and the rest of the Jedi. Before he turned against his wife, Anakin has two children with Senator Amidala, Leia and Luke Skywalker, that he does not know about. Senator Amidala dies after giving birth to their twins. After birth, the twins are separated to prevent the Dark Side from finding and hurting the children. Obi-Wan Kenobi sends Luke to a planet called Tatooine to live with his Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. Leia is raised by Senator Bail Organa of the planet Alderaan; she is called Princess Leia Organa. When they get older, Luke and Leia meet again. At first they don't know that they're brother and sister, but they eventually find out. They help fight the evil government, called the Galactic Empire. Luke also learns the ways of the Jedi from Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda. In the end, they defeat the Empire, and Luke helps his father Anakin become good again. The galaxy is saved for a while.
Expanded universe[change | edit source]
Many books, short movies, and videogames have been produced that deal with events that do not happen in the original movies. They also tell more about things that did happen in the movies. For example, the book Death Star tells about the building and destruction of the space station from the original movie. It tells much about things seen in that movie but from the point of view of the people on the station. Most of the stories in the Expanded Universe are about the rebuilding of the Republic after the Empire's defeat. They are set anywhere from the early Sith Wars which happened 5,000 years before Episode VI to more than one hundred years after Episode VI.
Films[change | edit source]
Star Wars original trilogy:
Star Wars prequel trilogy:
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
Star Wars sequel trilogy:
- Untitled seventh Star Wars film (2015)
- Untitled eighth Star Wars film (????)
- Untitled ninth Star Wars film (????)
Other Films[change | edit source]
TV series and specials[change | edit source]
- The Star Wars Holiday Special (1978)
- Droids (1985)
- Ewoks (1985)
- Star Wars: Clone Wars (2003-2005)
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008 - 2013)
- Untitled Live-Action series
References[change | edit source]
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope [DVD]. 20th Century Fox.
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace [DVD]. 20th Century Fox.
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones [DVD]. 20th Century Fox.
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith [DVD]. 20th Century Fox.
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back [DVD]. 20th Century Fox.
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi [DVD]. 20th Century Fox.
Other websites[change | edit source]
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Star Wars|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Star Wars|
|Wikinews has news related to this article: Star Wars|
- Star Wars.com The official Star Wars website
- Star Wars Online Shop The official Star Wars Online Shop
- Lucasarts.com The Official Star Wars Gaming Website and Lucasarts Website
- TheForce.net—One of the oldest Star Wars Fan Movie sites
- The Rebel Legion
- Wikia has a wiki on this subject: Star Wars
- The Force of Star Wars from Time.com
- Star Wars Trailer
- Directory to Star Wars sites on the internet.