This article relies largely or entirely upon a single source. (February 2018)
Star Wars is a series of science-fiction movies by George Lucas. As of December 2019, nine movies in the main series have been made by Lucasfilm Ltd, released by 20th Century Fox, and distributed by United International Pictures.
Settings[change | change source]
'The Force'[change | change source]
The Force is a magic-like power, and in ways it is like a religion. It is a belief that the force flows through every living thing. In the words of Obi-Wan Kenobi:
The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together.
People who can control the Force with their minds get a number of special powers, like telepathy, telekenesis (moving things with your mind), precognition (knowing about things before they happen) and mind control (telling people comands they must follow).
The Jedi and the Sith[change | change source]
The Jedi are a group of beings who use the Force to bring peace and harmony to people, planets, and cultures. They are trained to use the force for good purposes. They are sworn enemies with another group called the Sith.
The Sith are a group of beings who use the force as a power source; they are trained to use the force to gain ultimate power. The Sith normally use the force to gain power in battles with their enemy who are the Jedi. They also use the force to bring destruction to the universe and anything in their way. They are the antagonists, and they usually use red lightsabers in contrast to the variety of colors used by the Jedi. There are usually only two Sith, a master and an apprentice.
Lightsaber[change | change source]
The lightsaber is a dangerous and powerful weapon used by the Jedi and the Sith. It can be described simply as a light sword. These weapons are very special to a Jedi or Sith. They are custom built to special specifications by the Jedi or Sith. The Sith tend to take a Jedi's lightsaber as a prize if they win the battle. Many epic battles have been fought with lightsabers between the Jedi and the Sith. For the lightsaber to be a weapon it is powered by a special crystal called a kyber crystal. The reason it is powerful and dangerous is that when someone touches the blade, one gets burned straight away.
Story[change | change source]
Anakin Skywalker is a young boy who meets Obi-Wan Kenobi and learns the ways of the Force (and to become a Jedi). Although Jedi are not allowed to get married, as an adult, Anakin falls in love with Senator Padmé Amidala and they get married. Anakin later goes to the Dark Side and turns against Obi-Wan Kenobi and the rest of the Jedi. He then renames himself Darth Vader. Before he turned against his wife, Anakin had two children with Senator Amidala, Leia and Luke Skywalker, that he does not know about. Senator Amidala dies after giving birth to their twins. After birth, the twins are separated to prevent Vader and the Dark Side from finding and hurting the children. Obi-Wan Kenobi sends Luke to a planet called Tatooine to live with his Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru. Leia is raised by Senator Bail Organa of the planet Alderaan; she is called Princess Leia Organa.
When they get older, Luke and Leia meet again. At first they don't know that they are brother and sister, but they eventually find out. They help fight the evil government, called the Galactic Empire. Luke also learns the ways of the Jedi from Obi-Wan Kenobi and Yoda. In the end, they defeat the Empire, with the help of the Rebellion, and Luke helps his father Anakin become good again. Unfortunately, Anakin dies. The galaxy is then saved for a while.
Thirty years later, however, the Empire rises again in the form of the First Order. However, the New Republic does not believe that it is a threat. Those who do believe form the Resistance, led by Leia. Luke has vanished, and Leia has married Han Solo. They had a child, named Ben, but Ben was corrupted by the First Order and is now called Kylo Ren. Rey, a desert scavenger, fights with Han against the First Order, but Kylo Ren kills his father. However, Rey still manages to gain a large defeat against the First Order with the help of the Resistance. Rey then finds Luke, who was searching for the first Jedi Temple and for more knowledge about the Jedi.
Star Wars creatures[change | change source]
The Caretakers of Ahch-To
The manatee nuns from “The Last Jedi” may not take an immediate liking to Rey, but we sure like them. These wise caretakers in cream-colored habits are as cute as they are intense.
Yes, Lucas went overboard with the killer teddy bears of Endor, populating film and TV projects with these forest fuzz-warriors. And it was their very engineered-for-cuteness factor that first divided Star Wars fans as pro- and anti-Ewok a long time ago — even if some naysayers softened a bit after the bar was lowered in 1999 by Jar Jar Binks.
R2-D2 and C-3PO
Although the narrative may separate them, they are an inseparable joint entry here, befitting their place as a great action-comedy team. R2-D2 is the droid that Resistance royals are forever looking for — the beeping do-it-all mechanic and sometime projector. And C-3PO is the know-it-all, fussy butler of protocol, languages and odds-making.
Expanded universe[change | change source]
Many books, short movies, and video games have been produced that deal with events that do not happen in the original movies. They also tell more about things that did happen in the movies. For example, the book Death Star tells about the building and destruction of the space station from the original movie. It tells much about things seen in that movie but from the point of view of the people on the station. A different example is that in the Expanded Universe, sometimes the Sith are shown as the protagonists. Most of the stories in the Expanded Universe are about the rebuilding of the Republic after the Empire's defeat. They are set anywhere from the early Sith Wars which happened 5,000 years before Episode VI to more than one hundred years after Episode VI.
Movies[change | change source]
Star Wars prequel trilogy:
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (1999)
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (2002)
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (2005)
Star Wars original trilogy:
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (1977)
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (1983)
Star Wars sequel trilogy:
- Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens (2015)
- Star Wars Episode VIII: The Last Jedi (2017)
- Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (2019)
Star Wars anthology films:
Upcoming movies[change | change source]
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron (2023)
- Untitled Rian Johnson trilogy (Release date TBD)
- Untitled film (December 2025)
- Untitled film (December 2027)
- Untitled Kevin Fiege film (Release date TBD)
- Untitled Taika Watiti film (Release date TBD)
Specials[change | change source]
- Star Wars: The Clone Wars (2008)
- Star Wars Holiday Special (1978)
- Caravan of Courage (1984)
- The Battle of Endor (1985)
TV series and specials[change | change source]
- Droids (1985-1986)
- Ewoks (1985-1986)
- Star Wars: Clone Wars (2003-2005)
- Star Wars The Clone Wars (2008-2020)
- Star Wars Rebels (2014-2018)
- Star Wars Resistance (2018-2020)
- Star Wars Forces of Destiny (2017-2019)
- Star Wars Galaxy of Adventures (2018-2020)
- Star Wars: The Bad Batch (2021)
- Obi-Wan Kenobi (Release Date TBA)
- Andor (2022)
- The Mandalorian (2019-)
- The Book of Boba Fett (2021)
- Rangers of the New Republic (Release Date TBA)
- Ahsoka (Release Date TBA)
- Lando (Release Date TBA)
- The Acolyte (Release Date TBA)
- Visions (2021)
Upcoming projects[change | change source]
Movies[change | change source]
- Star Wars: Rogue Squadron is a future Star Wars movie set to be released December 22, 2023. The movie is written and directed by Patty Jenkins making her the first woman to direct a Star Wars film. According to Starwars.com, the movie "will introduce a new generation of starfighter pilots as they earn their wings and risk their lives in a boundary-pushing, high-speed thrill-ride, and move the saga into the future era of the galaxy."
- Untitled Rian Johnson Trilogy a trilogy is currently being worked on by Rian Johnson who wrote and directed Star Wars: The Last Jedi. The trilogy was announced before the release of The Last Jedi but very little has been said about it. Rian Johnson said that he would start writing it after his film Knives Out and that it will take place in a new era with new characters.
- Two Untitled Star Wars films are set to release in December 2025 and December 2027.
- A Untitled Kevin Fiege film is currently in currently being developed by Marvel Cinematic Universe producer Kevin Fiege
- A Untitled Star Wars Taika Watiti film is currently in development and was announced on May 4 2020. Taika Waititi will be co-writing the movie with Krysty Wilson-Cairns. Taika will also be the director of the film.
Television shows[change | change source]
- Lando is a future Disney+ show set in the Star Wars universe. The show will focus on the character Lando Calrissian but it is unclear if Donald Glover or Billy Dee Williams will come back to play Lando. The show is written by Justin Simien.
- Rangers of the New Republic is a future Disney+ show set in the Star Wars universe. The show was announced in December 2020 and will be worked on by Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau. It will take place at the same time as, Ahsoka, The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett.
- Ahsoka is a future Disney+ television show set in the Star Wars universe. It will take place during the time of The Mandalorian, Rangers of the New Republic, and The Book of Boba Fett. The shows will all join together in a story event at an unknown time. Rosario Dawson will be playing Ahsoka Tano again and the show will be written and directed by Dave Filoni and Jon Favreau.
- The Acolyte is a future Star Wars Disney+ show written by Leslie Headland. The show will take place during the end of the High Republic Era of Star Wars and take a look at the dark forces in the galaxy as the events of Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace get closer.
- Visions is a future Disney+ show that will feature ten short anthology anime films by different cartoonist set in the Star Wars universe. It will release in 2021.
- Obi-Wan Kenobi is a future Disney+ show set in Star Wars that is about Obi-Wan Kenobi's time on Tatooine. Ewan McGregor is coming back to play Obi-Wan while Hayden Christensen, who played Anakin Skywalker in the prequel films will return as Darth Vader in what Kathleen Kennedy described as the "rematch of the century". Originally a movie, the show was announced on August 23, 2019 but has not received a release date.
References[change | change source]
- Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope (DVD). 20th Century Fox. 2006.
- Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace (DVD). 20th Century Fox. 2001.
- Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones (DVD). 20th Century Fox. 2001.
- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (DVD). 20th Century Fox. 2001.
- Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (DVD). 20th Century Fox. 2004.
- Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi (DVD). 20th Century Fox. 2004.
- "Future Lucasfilm projects revealed". Retrieved January 7, 2021.
- "EW TV". Retrieved 7 January 2021.
- "Collider". Retrieved 7 January 2021.
- "Hollywood reporter". Retrieved 7 January 2021.
- "Star Wars.com". Retrieved 7 January 2021.
- "Lucasfilm reveals future projects". Retrieved 7 January 2021.
- "Slashfilm". Retrieved 7 January 2021.
- "The verge". Retrieved 7 January 2021.
Other websites[change | change source]
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Star Wars|
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Star Wars.|
|Wikinews has news related to this article: Star Wars|