COVID-19 pandemic in Nigeria
|COVID-19 pandemic in Nigeria|
|First outbreak||Milan, Italy|
|Arrival date||27 February 2020|
(2 years, 5 months, 2 weeks and 2 days ago)
Economics[change | change source]
Nigeria is Africa's largest economy, and it has a large oil industry. It was hit hard when oil prices fell below zero in spring 2020 because of the pandemic.
According to the World Data Lab, the coronavirus pandemic is bad for Africa's middle class. According to one economist from the Africa and the Middle East at Standard Chartered Bank, a middle-class person is someone who is not rich but does have a steady income. One of the industries that has helped Africa's middle class rise over the past 30 years is tourism, and many countries closed borders and encouraged people not to travel. Experts say this is especially bad because a strong middle class lifts the whole country.
Statistics[change | change source]
By states[change | change source]
|Note: Data as of 2020/11/17 23:00 WAT|
Related pages[change | change source]
References[change | change source]
- "FIRST CASE OF CORONA VIRUS DISEASE CONFIRMED IN NIGERIA". Nigeria Centre for Disease Control. 28 February 2020. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- Maclean, Ruth; Dahir, Abdi Latif (28 February 2020). "Nigeria Responds to First Coronavirus Case in Sub-Saharan Africa". The New York Times. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- "Nigeria records second case of Coronavirus". P.M. News. 9 March 2020. Retrieved 10 March 2020.
- Onyedika-Ugoeze, Nkechi (23 March 2020). "Nigeria's coronavirus cases now 40". The Guardian Newspaper. Retrieved 24 March 2020.
- "Achimugu, ex-PPMC boss identified as Nigeria's first coronavirus death". P.M. News. 23 March 2020. Retrieved 1 April 2020.
- Emorinken, Moses (23 March 2020). "COVID-19: UPDATED: First death recorded as confirmed cases rise to 36". The Nation Newspaper. Retrieved 23 March 2020.
- Rick Gladstone (April 22, 2020). "Oil Collapse and Covid-19 Create Toxic Geopolitical Stew". New York Times. Retrieved July 1, 2020.
- Abdi Latif Dahir (June 29, 2020). "Coronavirus Is Battering Africa's Growing Middle Class". New York Times. Retrieved June 29, 2020.
- "NCDC Covid-19 Page". Nigeria Centre for Disease Control. Retrieved 17 July 2020.