|Centuries:||20th century – 21st century – 22nd century|
|Decades:||1990s 2000s 2010s – 2020s – 2030s 2040s 2050s|
|Years:||2020 2021 2022 – 2023 – 2024 2025 2026|
2023 (MMXXIII) will be a common year starting on Sunday of the Gregorian calendar, the 2023rd year of the Common Era (CE) and Anno Domini (AD) designations, the 23rd year of the 3rd millennium, the 23rd year of the 21st century, and the 4th year of the 2020s decade.
Predicted and scheduled events[change | change source]
Date unknown[change | change source]
- SpaceX will send Yusaku Maezawa and his friends to the Moon.
- OSIRIS-REx is expected to return with samples from the Asteroid Bennu in the Apollo group.
- Kanal İstanbul will be finished.
- London's new £4.1 billion "super sewer" will be finished, upgrading the existing Victorian infrastructure.
- The Compact of Free Association between the United States and the Federated States of Micronesia and the Marshall Islands expires.
- According to words of Turkey's president (formerly a prime minister) Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, if the countries of the European Union will not accept Turkey as a member before the year 2023, Turkey would no longer be a candidate to the union.
In fiction[change | change source]
- Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball (1991)
- Perfect Dark (2000)
- Crysis 2 (2011) The events of this game are set in a post-apocalypse New York City in warfare with aliens.
- Five Nights at Freddy's 3 (2015)
- Gunbuster (1988)
- Click (2006): Michael Newman uses his remote control and is unwillingly sent to 2023, among other years.
- Doomsday (2008): briefly mentions the extension of the Thames Barrier due to torrential floods in 2023
- 2023 (2009) Norwegian shortfilm.
- X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014): In the Future, Sentinels have been created to hunt down Mutants. They eventually begin targeting Humans with a strong possibility to have mutant children and humans who help the mutants. A majority of the world's population has been killed. From here, the X-Men project Wolverine back to 1973 to prevent Sentinels from ever being created, saving all of mankind in the process.
- The Purge: Anarchy (2014): The events of the movie take place a year after the 2022 Purge.
- Quarantine (The Twilight Zone) (1986): Matthew Forman is put into cold sleep on June 18, 2023, in the hopes that his inoperable cancer can be cured in the future.
- Silent Mobius (1991)
- Batman Beyond (1999): Terry McGinnis to be born on August 18, 2023.
- Burn Up Scramble (2004)
- In episode 3 of season 2 of The Last Man on Earth it is revealed at Gordon's funeral, that the show is set in 2023.
- The novels The Carnival of Immortals (1980), The Woman Trap (1986) and * Equator Cold (1992) by Enki Bilal are set in 2023.
- The novel Killing Time (2000) by Caleb Carr.
- The novel The Free Lunch (2001) by Spider Robinson
- The Disney Channel sitcom Good Luck Charlie featured an episode, "Future Drama" 10 years into the future (2023).
References[change | change source]
- "Argentina elected host country of Specialised Expo 2023". Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- "OSIRIS-REx Factsheet" (PDF). NASA/Explorers and Heliophysics Projects Division. August 2011.
- "Better roads, rail travel and new river crossings in spending boost for London | Politics | News | London Evening Standard". Thisislondon.co.uk. Retrieved 2015-11-12.
-  Archived July 14, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
-  Archived December 7, 2008, at the Wayback Machine